Part 33

**

You spend that weekend wrapped up in your best friends' arms. They arrived on Friday morning with some pork bone soup and seafood that they cooked for lunch and dinner. In the middle of the day, Jungkook texted you and asked how you were doing, and you couldn't hide the smile on your face, which prompted a conversation about your little crush that you didn't expect to get tense, with Jimin stating that while Jungkook did help you, being attracted to your boss is complicated and would lead to heartbreak.

You insisted that it was harmless - a half lie, as you hadn't thought much about it in that sense - and that it's not something you plan on nurturing. You're gonna leave the company one day anyway, and you won't have to deal with him after.

The succeeding days were spent just at home, with you feeling lighter, until Sunday evening when they had to leave, and you felt a little lonely again.

You try to let that feeling go once you enter Jungkook's penthouse on Monday morning, knowing that with a day off, you'll have a lot to make up for and you can't let anything distract you from your tasks.

That includes the man himself, as he exits his home gym in sweatpants and a dri-fit shirt, the sweat sticking to his body that's got his chest accentuated. His hair is damp and he's panting; it's not exactly the sight you wanted to be greeted with, considering all the thoughts in your head these past few days. You're reminded that just last week, you'd tried to keep your distance and now, he's making it incredibly hard for you to do that.

"Hey, how do you feel?" He asks as he takes the glass of water you set for him. "Did you get proper rest?"

"Yes, I did, Mr. Jeon," you reply.

"Hmm, we're back to that again, huh?"

It takes you a while but you pick up that he's referring to the formalities.

"I'm back on the clock, sir," you point out. "You are my boss and I need to address you accordingly."

It's not a reminder he wanted, given how he's been worried sick about you since Thursday night. Even an hour of boxing after he got home that evening couldn't rid him of his anger. He wished he'd noticed how uncomfortable you were at the restaurant; he's been paying attention to you anyway but he just got so caught up with impressing the festival organizers that he missed out on the signs. If he'd noticed, he would've gotten to you earlier and things wouldn't have escalated.

He had to control himself from punching that man's face the moment he saw how close he was to you. Your plea of letting him go was the only thing that kept Jungkook from ruining that man's life because he really could. He doesn't think he'll ever understand it - people like that need to be punished, but it's people like you who remind him that fighting takes different forms, and you're the only one who can define what that means.

But it also doesn't mean that he can't get angry for you and he'll probably feel that for a while. Knowing how you are, he knows you wouldn't want him to pity you either, so he'll be what he can be, and that's someone whom you feel safe around. Regardless, maybe the reminder of your roles in each other's lives is necessary; it's what he needs to keep himself from doing more, or wanting to be more.

Jungkook finally acknowledges your statement with a nod and then heads to the bathroom for his shower. Shortly after, you walk towards his closet and prepare his outfits for the week. He meets you in the dining room once he's dressed, and like clockwork, you fix his tie and his suit.

The effect is minimal but somehow, you've found comfort in the routine. What once was a tense and nerve-wracking act is now something automatic and essential for you. In a way, it reinforces your place in his life, but the short distance reminds you that he may be faraway or detached in some aspects but physically, he's so close. It's a double-edged sword, really. Some days it's good, some days it isn't. Today, it's the former, and as you look up and meet his eyes, the softness in them says he thinks the same.