Part 47

**

It's been over a week since the team building and you haven't really moved on from all that happened during those three days. There was the joy of being with your colleagues and the companionship you felt thankful to have. There was also the tranquility of the lake and the refreshing environment that rejuvenated you, making you wish you were back there, especially as you sort through the printed photos from your disposable camera and see the pretty views that you already miss.

There's that photo you took of Jungkook by the stream that you've been staring at, another reason why you want to go back to that time. His eyes are warm and his smile is soft and subtle, unforced and just as captivating. It's quite calming, and it's the image that you hold onto later that Thursday evening when you're piled under loads of paperwork. It's past 6PM but you can't afford to leave yet, and the only good thing about it is that he's still around, and you get to sneak in some glances through the window.

You've become that person, smitten by her attractive boss and definitely stupid enough to be overwhelmed by her emotions. You haven't stopped thinking about him. Everyday that you enter his space, the desire to know him more gets stronger; with every common place you step into, you keep wishing he'd ask you to stay close, that he'd invite you to somewhere reserved for those he lets in. Every time your fingers brush, you're reminded of the way his hands felt on top of yours and how you wanted him to keep them there, and every look you share makes you hope that you're not the only one in this mess of emotions. And that if you'll give in, so would he.

You're not quite sure what he feels, but if his shy smiles and the way he intensely looks at you before looking away mean anything, then you could at least say that there's definitely something there. You just don't know if he would acknowledge it or if like you, it's gotten too strong that you're unable to think clearly or act rationally.

Finally done with the last item on your task list for today, you start to pack up. It's at the same time that Jungkook exits from his room to return a portfolio he took earlier and place it on your desk. You're about to pick it up but he says you should just leave it there and fix it tomorrow.

But you disregard him. You retrieve the stool and attempt to return the portfolio on the top shelf. It's a little heavy but you manage; you even start fixing the others that moved because Jungkook's been getting them these past days. You're about to step down when you hear his heavy sigh.

"I told you to do that tomorrow," he groans, walking towards you.

With your back turned, you reply, "I like starting my days with a tidy desk, okay?"

"It's just one portfolio," he points out.

"It still takes up so much space. It makes my table look messy."

"You still could've waited. Or you could've asked me to help," he insists, continuing to reprimand you as you try to step down the stool.

He's a little close, blocking your view of the floor, and that's why you miss a step and trip again, your squeal echoing throughout the empty floor. You think your heart racing is about to join in on the sounds, too, as it quickens when you realize that Jungkook has caught you by your waist, his tight grip on you sending shivers down your spine.

He's gotten even closer, as you look up and find his scrunched eyebrows and worried eyes staring back at you. The tension starts to rise but you manage to tell him that you're fine after he asks if you're hurt.

"I'm sure," you tell him. "You caught my fall. Again."

You giggle and that's what makes him let out a laugh as well. Your left hand holds onto the shelf but his hands remain on you. He's still a breath away but you suddenly don't mind, as your right hand mindlessly makes its way to rest on his arm. At this moment, this feels right. You're all alone in your little bubble with him where you're all he sees and he's all you can breathe in.

His bergamot scent wafts through your nose. You can count his eyelashes and see the scar on his cheek that you never noticed. He's even more breathtaking up close, and as if all reason evaporates from your body, you don't pull away. You want him just like this.

On second thought, you want him even closer.

"You're a clumsy woman, aren't you?" He says, his voice low and deep. "This isn't the first time that I'm breaking your fall."

"Well, if you would just be quiet while I'm attempting to go down, then that wouldn't be a problem," you breathily giggle, inching the tiniest bit forward.

"Well, if you just listened to me the first time, then you wouldn't have to climb up there," he responds, earning him a playful roll of your eyes. "You're a stubborn one, too."

"So I've heard," you match his teasing. "Can't help it sometimes."

"So you acknowledge it?" He raises an eyebrow in intrigue.

"Yeah, I guess," you say much more nervously now, meeting his eyes. It's like you're hypnotized again, caught in some spell where being in his presence makes you honest and uninhibited. "I mean, I feel things I shouldn't feel and want people I shouldn't want," you add. "Doesn't that make me stubborn?"

"What's stopping you from feeling them? From having them?" He asks, his voice remaining low and his eyes, even more piercing and desperate now as they stare back at you.

His thumbs lightly caress your waist and his touch electrifies you through the thin material of your blouse. There's so much to say and it's way more complicated, just as your feelings for him are. You can't help but eye his lips, soft and pink, and the desire to know what they taste like intensifies, prompting you to nibble your own.

"What's stopping me?" You pant now, your gaze flitting from his eyes back to his lips, with him doing the same. "The ways of the world. And some... boundary that pulls me back, a line that I don't know he's ready to cross for me."

The words actualize your fears the moment you say them. You know all the reasons why wanting him is wrong. But there's a small part of you that wants to give in, and it's terrified that he wouldn't, that he'd dismiss what you feel and pull away. The way he's been with you and the way he's holding you right now spark that sliver of hope you have that he feels the same way, but it's also the same moment that he lets you go, perhaps realizing that he's not willing to take the risk the way you are.

He releases you from his hold and steps back, creating distance, and you suddenly feel bare - exposed and unguarded without his touch. He looks at you in panic, in apology, in fear, as if he'd had some sense knocked into him, as if he awakened from some spell that pushed him close to you, only to realize that that's a place he can't go.

"I—"

"I should go," you interject, turning away so as not to see any more of the rejection in his eyes. "Have a good evening, Mr. Jeon."

##