Part 30

Christmas Eve came and Alex was on day shift leaving Henry alone in the apartment. He hates leaving Henry alone and tried his best to check up on him as frequently as he could but today was a hell of a day for him. The amount of patient he had to see since he stepped into the shift is too overwhelming and they are out of staffs, as usual. Everyone wants to go home and celebrate Christmas and he might have heard four staffs had called in sick by now and it starts to irritate him.

It wasn't until his phone buzzed in his scrub pockets and he pulled it out to see who it was. His first thought was Henry since he had persuaded him to buy a phone and finally he did but when he looked at the screen he groaned. He slides to answer and sighed, "Mum."

"Darling, tell me again why are you guys skipping Austin?" She asks and Alex clenched his jaw tighter. "Mother, after all the years we haven't spoken to each other, I kind of missed it." Alex greets her and he could hear Ellen sighed. "Alex, you skipped Christmas for God knows how many years. Now you're telling me you're skipping New Year as well? Why didn't you let us come to New York and we can celebrate altogether." Ellen suggested and Alex sighed longly over the phone.

"Jesus mum, I told you I had to work. Why are you nagging me about this? Henry knows I'm working plus we're not married yet to make that promises on holidays." Alex blurted and the moment he did his jaw fell apart and he can hear the silenced over the other line.

"What did you just say?" Ellen asks and Alex soon regretted it after hearing his mother screamed on top of her lungs. He had to pull his phone away from his ear hearing his mother high pitch voice. "Mum." Alex called but she is too far gone screaming calling her own husband. "Mum." Alex called again and this time he is gotten more annoyed at her.

"Mum."

"Mum, listen.."

"Mama, espera.." Alex can hear her yelling for his father.

"MAMI! CALLATE!" Alex yelled and he almost felt embarrassed about it seeing there are other people in the hallway and they all laughed at his annoyance.

"Seriously woman control yourself!" Alex told her and she was cheering over the phone for Alex accidental blabs. "I'm so happy! I'm so so happy for you and Henry, Oh God I wish June was here. Your father is happy too, you have to tell us how did you propose? Was Henry the one who proposed? Or was it you?" Ellen outburst of question doesn't help Alex in shutting her up.

"Mum, we talk later, I'm working. DO NOT CALL HENRY ABOUT THIS!" Alex warned her and he can hear her sniffing her tears and he groaned. "Mummy..... please don't cry. I can't do this right now. I'm working." Alex begs her and she knows he is only she doesn't care. Alex promised her that he would call her once he is done with his shift so they could talk further and when he ended the call, he smiled shaking his head.

He pulled out his phone again and tapped on the screen before he starts another call. It took longer than usual for Alex's call to be answered and it got him worried. But soon as he heard his voice, his heart immediately relieved. "What took you so long? Are you alright? What the hell are you doing? Are you hurt?" Alex asks and all he could hear is silenced.

"Are you done? Jeez Alex, breathe, I'm in the loo for Christ sake. You expect me to take the phone there too?" Henry told him and he can hear Alex relaxed after a long exhaled. "Sorry, just wanting to hear your voice." Alex says and he can hear Henry sighed on the other end.

"I miss you too darling. Are you okay? Why the sudden call? Is everything alright?" Henry asks and Alex smiled at his concerned. "My mum called and I don't know how it happened but they know that we're engaged now." Alex scrunched his nose and pressed his lips together waiting for Henry replied. He was met with a possible anger or maybe couple of cursed words coming out of Henry but he never expects Henry would laughs at him.