Lust

Night descended, casting a veil of shadows over the leaf shinobi huddled within their concealed wooden refuge nestled in the forest near the lake. Despite the respite from Guren's assaults, Kakashi remained vigilant, aware that the silence was merely a prelude to a more ominous threat.

As the echoes of battle faded, Kakashi's mind turned to the looming specter of the Akatsuki. The absence of Guren and her henchmen hinted at a brief reprieve, but the knowledge that the Akatsuki would swiftly converge on their location to seize the Three-Tails hung heavily in the air.

"Everyone get some rest, Lady Fifth is sending an ANBU team to relieve us in the morning. We will be heading back as soon as they arrive." Kakashi ordered, catching a quick glance at Kara who was surrounded by the young ninjas, all who haven't stopped bombarding her with questions about her new abilities. Neither Kara nor Kakashi have barely spoken to each other since the battles on the lake and the anxiety of an impending conversation laid heavy in both the pits of their stomachs.

Kakashi swiftly made his way outside to the lingering warmth of the fire, where Yamato was attentively tending to the flames. As Yamato seemed on the verge of starting a conversation, Kakashi deftly pulled out his Icha Icha book, sending a clear signal that he wasn't in the mood for another potentially awkward discussion—likely centered around Kara.

An hour or so had passed and barely a word had been spoken, the young ninjas were sound asleep inside the makeshift house, no noice other than that of the sleep talking Naruto.

Kakashi, who was fully immersed in his book had not noticed that Kara was walking towards the fire. It wasn't until Yamato spoke up that his attention was diverted away from his book.

"Kara-Senpai, can't sleep?" Yamato inquired as Kara approached the fire.

"No.. it's weird.. where I was, sleep wasn't a thing and it seems my body is struggling to get back into the habit of resting." She responded.

"What do you mean?"

"Oh.. I haven't explained where I was." She slightly chuckled. "It's probably difficult to understand, but I actually went to the celestial world, to learn more about my celestiagan. There, time works differently and so sleep isn't a thing. It's like being plugged into a constant energy source so you don't need to sleep."

Kakashi hadn't looked up from his book but was listening to every word that came from Kara.

Surprised my Kara's response "you actually went to another world?" Yamato asked.

"Yep!" Kara looked over to Kakashi but seeing him staring at the pages of his book only added weight to the already heavy feeling hanging in her chest.
He will barely look at me.. she thought. "Anyway, I'm going to do some training to burn some energy. I won't be far so don't worry about me." She stated as she started to head towards the trees.

"No worries, if anything happens I'm sure you'd be fine with those advanced powers of yours" Yamato joked. "You're probably the strongest one here now."

Kara laughed "careful Yamato otherwise Captain Hatake over there will get jealous." She teased before dipping into the tree line.

A heavy silence lingered between Yamato and Kakashi. "I'm not jealous!" Kakashi quickly interjected, making Yamato laugh.

"Sounds like you are a bit" he teased.

"Well I'm not!"

"Then why have you barely said two words to her since coming back to camp?" He asked the silver-haired jonin with a raised brow.

"Well.. I've been busy."

"You're reading.."

"And?" Kakashi's tone was evident he didn't want to delve into his reasoning for not speaking with her. Frankly, he was afraid to. It had been five months for him.. he had no idea what her feelings could be after all that time.