The Kazekage

In the following days, Kara and Kakashi made a concerted effort to avoid each other. Though they occasionally crossed paths during her morning runs past the training grounds, they exchanged terse grunts and diverted their gaze.

One late morning, Kara had been summoned to the Hokage's office.
Finally a mission, these last few days have been more boring than I'd thought they'd be.

"You may enter Kara, lady Fifth is waiting for you" Shizune said as she stepped out of the office.

Kara walked in and bowed, greeting the Hokage.

"Kara I need you to assist Team Kakashi and Team Guy on their mission to rescue the Kazekage."

Kara opened her mouth to speak but Tsunade raised her hand to hush her.

"I don't want any excuses as to why you can't work with Kakashi. This is a matter of urgency! The Akatsuki have taken the Kazekage in order to extract the tailed beast from within him. Now go and support the teams where necessary."

Kara knew better than to argue with Tsunade at a time like this. She's hoped she wouldn't have to deal with the jonin yet, she's still seething from his last comments to her.

"Yes my lady, I will leave right away" with that Kara left the office to head straight towards the village hidden in the sand.

———————————————————————————

Kara's tracking skills were unmatched, aided by her keen eye and sense of smell has rendered it easy for her to track the two teams ahead of her. She had been travelling quite some time when she reached the village hidden in the sand. She introduced herself to the one in charge. Temari seemed to have taken control while one brother was recovering from the fight with Sasori of the Akatsuki and the other being taken by Deidara. She pointed Kara in the direction that the hidden leaf ninjas went in.

"You should be able to catch them, they left not that long ago" Temari said. She was a strong young woman for her age, Kara respected that.

Kara hurried in the direction she pointed in, not at all overjoyed to be running over loose sand. One of her least favourite terrains.

It will be hard to catch up running on this.

Eventually she reached the woodland across the dessert, still tracking Kakashi and his team, she knew she was close. Then she sensed it and stopped in her tracks, a familiar chakra.

Itachi

Kara closed her right eye and activated her sharingan in her left. Her sharingan allows her to connect the eye to another sharingan if there is a close emotional bond. She can see what they can see.
He's with Kakashi and Naruto. Crap Naruto is under his genjutsu. Fuck. They are no match for him.

Suddenly her vision changed to the one in front of her. The connection was cut.

He must have sensed the connection and kicked me out. That cheeky bastard was always too smart for his own good.

Kara and Itachi were close in terms of siblings, she helped raise him. She was eight when he was born and loved having a baby brother to play with. The close bonds they built growing up enabled the emotional connection between their two sharingans.

Sometimes if the connection was strong enough they could communicate to each other no matter how far apart they were. No one else knew of Kara's ability to do this and she was glad of the secrecy after the massacre of the clan. After all when she returned from her mission the day following the massacre, Lord Third trusted her with the truth regarding Itachi. She sensed straight away he was feeding her lies at the beginning and therefore he caved and told her of the true events that occurred. From then on, she would occasionally use her sharingan to check in on Itachi and make sure he was okay. She hated for what he went through.