Chapter 66.

It took almost a month, but here we are, Briar and I found the perfect dog! After a lot of research and talking with people at these service places, our new babe, Maverick, came home last week!

Maverick is a gorgeous German Shepherd that just didn't make the cut to be, well, any kind of service or working dog. He was too gentle to be a working dog and too energetic to be a service or therapy dog.

The people at the service really tired to get him through at least therapy training because he is such a great dog, but in the end, they couldn't pass him. However, they have great faith that Maverick will be an amazing addition and asset to our family.

He is 14 months old and already completely attached to Briar. They are honestly the cutest together. I can't wait to watch the boys grow up with Maverick. We have been working with one of the service reps to help us teach Maverick Briar's restrictions.

After he learns them, which he already has, she will certify him as Briar's psychiatric assistance dog. Even though he didn't pass the outright training, he will be licensed because he luckily provides great assistance and support to Briar.

I could not be more thankful.

Getting Maverick is the best thing I ever could have done for my wife. He will be able to help her in ways that I might not be able to. Even though she has been psychologically cleared after the accident, I still noticed that she gets extremely anxious and uncomfortable in certain situations. Now, she will be able to have Maverick with her, to help her in those situations. He will also help protect her and the babies when they arrive which is an amazing relief.

Here is a picture of our goodest boy:

-

It's now a Thursday, early afternoon, and I just started my therapy appointment.

'You said you were feeling less anxious. Does this seem less anxious to you?' Dillon asks me as I'm sitting in his office, unable to sit still.

'I am less anxious, overall. I just don't like leaving her.' I tell him as I try to control my leg bouncing.

'Did she express to you that she was nervous before you left the house today?' He asks.

'No.'

'Is she planning on driving somewhere today?'

'No.'

'Did she call or text to tell you that she is worried about something?'

'No.'

'Has she not answered when you have called and texted her today?'

'She's answered every single one.' I mumble.

'So, what is there is to be anxious about? River, you weren't this anxious when you left her before, right after she came home. Why do you think that's changed?