chapter 12: Hagrid

Once Roselia stepped off the train, she could see the castle in the distance. She loved being there, and as the students rushed around her, she could hear Hagrid over all the noise, "First years this way," she smiled to herself and ran towards him. She ran right up and hugged him, "Hagrid!" She yelled. He laughed and patted her head with his large hand, "Why there ye are lil Rose, I was wondering where ya were hiding. Finally, in the first year, are ya?"
She nodded as she let go, "oh hagrid one of the boys was messing around and cut his finger, I wrapped it but I think P-Madame Pomfrey should look at it just in case," Hagrid gave her another pat, "good on ye, always ready to help others, reminds me of someone." He gave her a sad smile, then went back to gathering first years, Roselia  heard from behind, "Hello, hagrid." Harry and Ron were behind her, "Blimey!" Shouted Ron at the sight of Hagrid, "hello Harry." Hagrid said, "All first years follow me." He turned and walked to the boats. He stopped and instructed the students, "No more than four to a boat!" He watched as students climbed in, as did Roselia. She had planned on riding with Draco, but now she wasn't sure. Seeing her hesitate, Harry offered her a spot in his and Ron's boat. She glanced at Draco, who was glaring at her, and she agreed. Hermione invited herself to the boat she sat beside Roselia. They smiled at each other while Ron rolled his eyes.
"A'right, everyone's in?  Good, Forward." The fleet of small boats magically began moving towards the castle, Roselia made a mental note to ask her dad about the charm used.
Everyone was silent, staring up at the great castle overhead. It towered over them as they sailed closer and closer to the cliff below it.
"Heads down, mind the ivy!" Hagrid hollered in warning, as each boat docked their passengers slowly climbed out Hagrid did a sweep of each boat, he found a toad, "oi, whose Toad is this?"
"Trevor!" A boy shouted, Roselia assumed he must be Neville.
He thanked Hagrid and then stood back in line, "Now everyone follow me and mind your step, ye hear."
Hagrid led the group of first years up the pathway to a field of grass, then up a set of stone stairs, to a large door. He turned and spoke to the group, "Everyone here? You there you still got your Trevor?" Neville nodded, Hagrid smiled and knocked three times.
The door opened, and a tall black haired witch walked out. She wore lovely emerald green robes and a pointed hat,
Hagrid introduced her, "First Years this 'ere is Professor Mcgonagall,"
She nodded, "Thank you, hagrid, I will take it from here."
She led the group through an entry hall to a smaller chamber off to the side, all of the students crowded into the room squeezing closer than they would have liked. Hermione and Roselia stayed close to each other,
“Welcome to Hogwarts,” said Professor McGonagall. “The start-of-term banquet will begin shortly, but before you take your seats in the Great Hall, you will be sorted into your Houses. The sorting is a very important ceremony because, while you are here, your house will be something like your family within Hogwarts. You will have classes with the rest of your house, sleep in your house dormitory, and spend free time in your house's common room. The four houses are called Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin. Each House has its own noble history, and each has produced talented witches and wizards. While you are at Hogwarts, your triumphs will earn your house points, while any rule-breaking will lose house points. At the end of the year, the House with the most points is awarded the House Cup, a great honor. I hope each of you will be a credit to whichever House becomes yours. Now we will begin shortly while you wait, I suggest straightening yourselves a bit. She glanced at Neville's cloak and the dirt on Ron's nose, Roselia caught her glances.
"I will return when we are ready for you. Wait here." The professor left the chamber, Roselia turned to Neville beside her and offered to help fix his cloak. He agreed and thanked her. She then turned to tell Ron about the dirt on his nose when there was a scream from behind her. She turned to see twenty ghosts, and she grined as the surrounding students gasped, Harry included.
A few of them were arguing about peeves but stopped suddenly noticing the new students, "what have we been here?" One asked, only for the other to answer him, "new students I see, oh wait, is that Roselia?" He waved to her, she smiled and waved back, "finally getting sorted, are we?" She nodded, "you'd do well in  hufflepuff, you know," the ghost said. She chuckled, "So you've told me, my dear friar. But that is up to the sorting hat to decide." He chortled in response, "right, you are my dear."

"Move along now," said a sharp voice, "the sorting ceremony will start soon," the Professor had returned, and the ghosts quickly left.
“Now, form a line,” Professor McGonagall told the group of first years, “and follow me.” Harry got into line behind a boy with sandy hair, with Ron behind him, then Roselia and Hermione, and they walked out of the chamber, back across the hall, and through a pair of double doors into the Great Hall. Harry had never seen such a strange and wonderful place. There were thousands of candles just floating in midair over four long tables, where the rest of the students were sitting. These tables were laid with glittering golden plates and goblets. At the top of the hall was another long table where the teachers were sitting. Professor McGonagall led the first years up here so that they came to a stop in a line facing the other students with the teachers behind them. Harry  and Roselia looked upward and saw a velvety black ceiling dotted with stars. They heard Hermione whisper, “It’s bewitched to look like the sky outside. I read about it in Hogwarts: A History.” Roselia understood it was hard to believe there was a ceiling there at all. She thought the very same the first time she saw it. They quickly looked down again as Professor McGonagall silently placed a four-legged stool in front of the first years. On top of the stool, she put a pointed wizard’s hat. This hat was patched and frayed and extremely dirty. Everyone in the hall was now staring at the hat. For a few seconds, there was complete silence. Then the hat twitched. A rip near the brim opened wide like a mouth—and the hat began to sing:

“Oh, you may not think I’m pretty,
But don’t judge on what you see,
I’ll eat myself if you can find a smarter hat than me.
You can keep your bowlers black,
Your top hats sleek and tall,
For I’m the Hogwarts Sorting Hat
And I can cap them all.
There’s nothing hidden in your head
The Sorting Hat can’t see,
So try me on and I will tell you
Where you ought to be.
You might belong in Gryffindor,
Where dwell the brave at heart, Their daring, nerve, and chivalry Set Gryffindors apart;
You might belong in Hufflepuff,
Where they are just and loyal, Those patient Hufflepuffs are true And unafraid of toil;
Or yet in wise old Ravenclaw,
If you’ve a ready mind,
Where those of wit and learning,
Will always find their kind;
Or perhaps in Slytherin You’ll make your real friends,
Those cunning folk use any means To achieve their ends.
So put me on! Don’t be afraid!
And don’t get in a flap!
You’re in safe hands (though I have none) For I’m a Thinking Cap

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thanks so much for reading another chapter as always. Comment, complaints, suggestions, and questions are 100 percent welcome. The next chapter will be ready within a week! See you then!