Chapter 16: potions

Roselia POV

"As there is little foolish wand-waving here, many of you will hardly believe this is magic. I don’t expect you will really understand the beauty of the softly simmering cauldron with its shimmering fumes, the delicate power of liquids that creep through human veins, bewitching the mind, ensnaring the senses....I can teach you how to bottle fame, brew glory, even stopper death—if you aren’t as big a bunch of dunderheads as I usually have to teach.”
More silence followed this little speech.
Harry and Ron exchanged looks with raised eyebrows while, Hermione was on the edge of her seat and looked desperate to start proving that she wasn’t a dunderhead.
“Potter!” said Snape suddenly. “What would I get if I added powdered root of asphodel to an infusion of wormwood?”
Harry glanced at Ron, who looked as stumped as he was; mine and Hermione’s hand had shot into the air.
“I don’t know, sir,” said Harry.
Snape’s lips curled into a sneer. “Tut, tut—fame clearly isn’t everything.”
He ignored our hands .
“Let’s try again. Potter, where would you look if I told you to find me a bezoar?” we stretched our hands as high into the air as they would go without leaving our seats, but Harry didn’t have the faintest idea what a bezoar was. He tried not to look at Malfoy, Crabbe, and Goyle, who were shaking with laughter. “I don’t know, sir.”
“Thought you wouldn’t open a book before coming, eh, Potter?” Harry forced himself to keep looking straight into those cold eyes. He had looked through his books at the Dursleys’, but did Snape expect him to remember everything in One Thousand Magical Herbs and Fungi?
Snape was still ignoring yours and Hermione’s raised hands. “What is the difference, Potter, between monkshood and wolfsbane?” At this, Hermione stood up, her hand stretching toward the dungeon ceiling.
“I don’t know,” said Harry quietly. “I think Hermione does, or possibly Roselia, why don’t you try one of them?” A few people laughed; Harry caught Seamus’s eye, and Seamus winked. Father however, was not pleased. “Sit down,” he snapped at Hermione. “For your information, Potter, asphodel and wormwood make a sleeping potion so powerful it is known as the Draught of Living Death. A bezoar is a stone taken from the stomach of a goat and it will save you from most poisons. As for monkshood and wolfsbane, they are the same plant, which also goes by the name of aconite. Well? Why aren’t you all copying that down?”
There is a storm of papers being moved as almost everyone copies down, Roselia on the other hand gave her father a disapproving look, he didn't notice. Over the noise, Snape said, “And a point will be taken from Gryffindor House for your cheek, Potter."
Things didn’t improve for the Gryffindors as the Potions lesson continued. "Since some of you seem to not be taking this class seriously, we will review the first chapter in class today, while I expect you to ready chapters 2 and 3 on your own. I want a one hundred word essay from each of you, decribing the brewing process of a boil removing potion and where to find its ingredients. I expect it on my desk by the beginning of Friday's class. We will be brewing said potion Friday morning, now let's really begin." Father told us to open our books, I sighed, I knew this whole book front to back, I've read it many times, but I really dont like writing essays. The rest of the hour went by quickly at least to me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thanks so much for reading another chapter as always. Comment, complaints, suggestions, and questions are 100 percent welcome. The next chapter will be ready within a week! See you then!