Chapter 30

Rhaelys and Harwin talk. Daemon gets a call from someone upset. I hope you guys like it 🥰

10 days later

Rhaelys liked living with her sister, getting to know Rhaenyra was fun and they talked about everything. Rhaenyra had told her many stories about their mother and the Arryn family. She had also told her about the thrust their mother had left on both their names. Rhaelys would be able to get her thrust once she turned twenty-five or once she married. She was also having a blast with her niece and nephew. Aemond was serious and reserved, but extremely smart. He always seemed to be thinking and had a strategy to get out of any kind of problem. Aemma was a whole different story, the little girl was a tornado and loved nothing more than getting into trouble. According to Rhaenyra, her daughter was nothing like her namesake. The funniest thing about Aemma was that she had a way to get her brother to follow her into trouble. Aemond and Daemon spoiled the girl like there was no tomorrow.

Rhaelys had been surprised when she discovered that Rhaenyra worked with Daemon. Her sister was the one who handled all the family money, she was also the one who invested it. She and Rhaenyra had talked to great lengths about the family they had been born into and Rhaenyra had explained to her what the roles were. Somehow Daemon had allowed his wife to attend university and she had been controlling their money for years. Rhaelys had also seen the love between her sister and her husband. Daemon could be a very scary and ruthless man, but he loved his family more than anything.

"You are thinking very hard." Rhaelys looked up and glared at Harwin. Her sister had told her that he was Daemon's right-hand man and that he was a good man. The children also adored him and considered him their uncle, but for some reason, he rubbed Rhaelys the wrong way. "I thought you would be with Rhaenyra."

"She is spending some time with Daemon and the children." She stood up and moved even farther away from him. "I can't always be there, they need some family time."

"Aren't you also part of the family?"

"Yes, but the children miss being alone with their parents." She didn't like the way she felt when she was around him. He had stayed away from her since their encounter in the kitchen. "Did you need something?"

"No, I was just walking past and saw you."

Rhaelys frowned and looked around her. They were in the gardens and as far as she knew if he kept going the direction he was going he would end up at the far end of the wall that covered the entire property. "Where are you going?"

"The pool house." Harwin gestured towards the smaller house near the main house. It was beautiful, it was the size of a regular house and it was made of glass and red brick. She could not believe she had never noticed it before. "I live there."

"You live in the pool house?"

"Yes," He gave her an amused smile. "Why is that so surprising?"

"I don't know." She shrugged. "I thought you had a lot of money, just like Daemon."

"I do," His smile widened. "Didn't anyone tell you that is not polite to ask people how much money they have?"

Rhaelys blushed to the roots of her hair and noticed the way Harwin's eyes sharpened. He straightened and his gaze changed, but she knew he was right. She shouldn't have asked that. "I'm sorry, that was insensitive of me."

"I was just kidding." He moved closer to her but stopped when he saw her tense. "I'm sorry for kidnapping you. I knew the Daynes wouldn't allow me or your sister anywhere near you and I didn't have too much time to explain."