Ch.2

Kiara

Finally stepping out onto the floor plan of the apartment building, I let out a relieved breath of air. 13 years and as fucking ratchet or disgusting of a dump these stacks of rooms seem like, it was home to me. A refuge—a sanctuary for the people who couldn't seem to keep up with the high level standards of today's society.

Hookers, broken individuals and people who simply couldn't pay the price to afford a healthy lifestyle—they were all family to me. To us.

Roman, Malik and I walked through the crooked hallway, the smell of smoke wafting through the air as three boys ran past us, one turning his head. "Kiara!" He exclaimed, running up to give me a hug.

"Hey Carter." I smiled softly and pulled out a bundle of a thousand. "Is your mama home yet?"

"Not yet. She comes at 9 tonight." He let out a toothy grin and looked down at the notes I gave him. "Is this for us?"

"For now." Malik interrupted. "Sorry little man. We didn't really have the best luck today."

"That's alright, I'll put this in our piggy bank. Thank you!" He gleed. An adorable fucking kid. He gave Malik a wave, Roman a fist bump before running off to play with his other friends. The three of us scoured the hallway, looking around.

"You reckon she's even here?" Roman commented narrowing his eyes as he carried the duffel bag. Malik sniffed the hazy air that drifted with nicotine before following us as we walked up to the first floor.

"She's probably in her office." I muttered. "Or maybe off screaming at who knows what kind of druggo outside."

Dani was the type to do that to be fair. An old, frail plump little woman who somehow held the lung capacity of an elephant. I walked up the stairs, turning to her office before opening the door ever so slightly to take a peak inside. The blinds to the pay window were closed and to be fair, I wasn't expecting anyone inside but seeing her lay back on her couch took me by surprise.

She let out a plume of smoke and looked over at us, before letting out a gasp and attempted to sit up. "No no mama stay." Malik chuckled and pushed past me. "Sit down we'll come to you."

"Good lord." She let out a relieved sigh and sunk back into her couch with a light chuckle. Letting Roman in before closing the door behind us, I walked forwards and looked down at the old woman slumped against the couch. For a 68 year old woman, she was quite energetic.

With her frizzy white hair out and her favourite dress on, I watched her rub her wrinkled chocolate toned face lightly before sitting forwards, resting her arms on her thighs. "You three scared the shit out of me. I saw the cops running up n' down the streets and the first thing that came into mind were your wreck-less selves pulling some impossible heist."

"Well... I promise this'll be the last time." I lied, rolling my eyes and filling up a glass of water from a jug that laid on her desk with lukewarm water. Walking over to her, I planted a gentle kiss on her forehead, watching her lips curve on her face.

"You said that two robberies ago, Kiara." She tutted, shaking her head in disbelief, taking the glass of water I offered her. "You three really need to stop someday. I'm serious."

"Nah." Roman drawled and sat next to her, slumping his arm on the back of the couch. "With the luck we're getting by not getting caught? Fuck no."