Ch.6

Kiara

"You alright carrying all that, Carter?" I asked, my arms clasped around a brown shopping bag with shallots hanging from the top. With a grunt, I let out a breath, feeling the weight of the other two plastic bags dangling off my wrists. Curse my mother.

"Yes." He huffed out, cheeks red as we both walked along the crosswalk, making it to the other side of the road that led up to the apartment building. Mama gave me a list today, and knowing I had a job tonight, I took advantage of the day out to grab some supplies for it. Carter just came along for the adventure since he had nothing better to do.

He looked down at the plastic bag that hung from my right wrist. "Why do you need things from the ammunition store?" He asked. The poor boy was only young so with a heavy breath, I raised my chin above the bag and spoke.

"Fireworks." I lied. "For my birthday."

"Kiara, your birthday was yesterday." He rolled his eyes and puckered his lips, reaching into his brown paper bag before pulling out a few crackers from a box he opened. Waiting at the stop lights, I leaned down, opening my mouth before he adoringly placed a cracker between my teeth. "I'm 7, I'm not stupid."

"I know you aren't, that was a test." I scoffed, glancing over at the lights. Purchasing ammunition for my handgun with a child definitely attracted a few eyes. They probably thought I was some crazy aunt, or one crackhead of a mother. It wouldn't have surprised me if the woman talking to him at the stop lights told him to 'blink twice for help'.

Carter was stronger—more mature than anyone thought, ever and I adored his cute nature looking up to Malik, Roman and I. He'd tell us that when he grows up, he's going to join in on our schemes and as flattering as that is, it really opened my eyes to the shit we're dealing with.

Doing small art commissions alone won't ever get me anywhere in life, especially given the fact that I never really had the opportunity to develop a good reputation in the community for my works. Getting a job was out of the question since Dani couldn't afford schooling for us three, and so instead we were homeschooled, though being taught by a non qualified teacher meant that we had basically no path in life.

I manage to get by, and while it is a drag to have to scrape off coins from the sewers, I'm just glad I still have some self respect left. It gave me with the satisfaction that even after all this, I never managed to let my pussy hang on the sidewalk for spare change.

"So.." Carter asked. "What is that?"

"It's... something for my next job." I sucked air between my teeth, trying my best to lighten up the mood. He's still a kid, still very innocent—I hope. "A weapon."

"Bullets?" He asked. "What size? 9mm?"

I take that back.

"Carter where are you even getting this from?" I tutted, glaring down at him with a frowning face of concern. "You're 7, you're not supposed to be learning about this shit."

"Roman was showing me the guns he had." The boy gave me a teethy grin, with two of his front teeth missing. Of course it was Roman. "They're so fucking cool-"

My hand slapped the back of his head lightly, just to give him the hint that he was being ridiculous. The boy stuttered, letting out a grunt before gently soothing the slap with a rub. I narrowed my eyes. "Swear again and I'll be sure to get your mama to pour hot sauce on your tongue."