𝒙𝒙𝒊𝒊𝒊. 𝒆𝒎𝒂𝒊𝒍𝒔 𝒊 𝒄𝒂𝒏'𝒕 𝒐𝒑𝒆𝒏

CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE
decisions !

   MARILYN SAT LEANING chin on her fist, sucking her teeth and her eyes narrowed towards the computer screen

   MARILYN SAT LEANING chin on her fist, sucking her teeth and her eyes narrowed towards the computer screen. her gaze flickering between two emails; college decision emails.

it was april 27th and she had put off opening these for much longer than she should've.

her heart was thumping so loudly that she could hear it in her ears. her lip was becoming chapped from her constant gnawing on it.

ba-dum. ba-dum.

marilyn's finger hovered over the computer pad, going in between the two emails. university of califronia san diego and harvard university.

ba-dum. ba-dum.

she had been waitlisted from SDSU and UMass, not that they were her top choices anyways, and it had made her extremely nervous for these two.

the two she had most hopes set on.

even if she wouldn't admit harvard was mainly pushed by noah and the thought of being with him during college.

ba- dum. ba-dum.

she knew it was typical to open these emails with family or friends, but this was something she wanted to do on her own. expressing disappointment in herself and receiving pity from others all at once was not something she desired.

she knew noah would probably want to know of her harvard results, but truth be told, the more she thought about it the more marilyn didn't want to be in boston.

she had plans— big plans for herself and her plans needed her in california.

so, preparing for the worst, she sucked in a deep breath. she crossed the fingers on her left hand and held them over her chest before bringing her right hand down and opening the email from UCSD.

"dear marilyn.." she sighed out, eyes scanning the email.

a smile broke out on the blondes face.

"congratulations! we are pleased to offer you admission for fall 2018 to the university of california san diego as a entrepreneurship major with a minor in dance at the rady school of management" her eyes continued scanning over the sentence as tears of joy and disbelief filled her eyes.

a weight had been lifted off her shoulders knowing she got into her dream school. her dreams becoming more real by the second.

she let out a joyous scream into her pillow.

"marilyn?" a knock on her door and her fathers voice startled her, the girl falling from her bed with a loud thump and a shrill shriek.

"are you okay in there?"

"yeah! all good, dad! just.... a really good book?" the girl lied through her teeth as she laid on the floor with a toothy grin.

"okay..." she waited for his retreating footsteps before she shot back up to look at her computer. she leaned over her bed from beside it on the floor as she took a deep breath.

she opened another tab for her emails and let her smile fall as she looked at the harvard email. she couldn't avoid it any longer.

but it wasn't fear of being rejected, no. she was terrified to be accepted into harvard now that she knew she had made it into UCSD.

she didn't want to pick between her dream and the man she loved.

with a final breath she clicked on the email and froze as her eyes scanned the letter.

"dear miss. evans. thank you for your interest in harvard college. after careful consideration of your application, i am sorry to inform you that we are unable to offer you a place in the class of 2022" marilyn let out a sigh.

that is what she wished she had just read.

"dear miss. evans. i am delighted to inform you that the committee on admissions and financial aid has voted to offer you a place in the harvard class of 2022."

marilyn let out a shaky breath in disbelief. there hadn't been a doubt in her mind she would be rejected, but she was accepted. and now she had to make a choice.

"shit"

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂

AUTHOR SPEAKS
a little fillerrrrrrrrrr