𝒙𝒙𝒗𝒊. 𝒇𝒊𝒏𝒂𝒍 𝒈𝒐𝒐𝒅𝒃𝒚𝒆𝒔

CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX
birthdays !

   MARILYN SAT AT HER VANITY with a straight face as she finished getting ready

   MARILYN SAT AT HER VANITY with a straight face as she finished getting ready. for elle and lee's costume party she had decided to be alice from alice in wonderland.

she had a large black bow in her hair, an alice dress, uneven socks and large black heels. her makeup was as it always was, the concealer packed on a bit more to hide the bags from crying the previous night.

she took a deep breath before she practiced her smile in the mirror, running her hands through her hair to hide that her heart was in shambles.

"it's all going to be okay" she muttered to herself. "it's lee and elle's birthday, pull it the fuck together" she said through clenched teeth.

she quickly grabbed some eye drops, helping the reddening of her eyes to go away and help the dryness of them.

she stood up and left her room, stuffing her phone in her small rabbit themed handbag before strutting off to her car and heading to the flynn's.

"rachel's gonna be here in ten minutes" lee said to elle as they fixed their costumes in the mirror.

"is noah gonna be here tonight?" elle asked, the two both knowing what went down between their siblings the night prior.

"he told me last night he was leaving for harvard today" lee said, turning to face elle who was thinking of her crying sister last night.

"but hey, it's for the best" elle looked at lee "i mean, i think marilyn did the right thing. long-distance would've killed them" elle nodded in agreement.

"yeah, i know. i just feel so bad for marilyn" she said before they shared genuine smiles.

"tuppen will be here in five, let's go make our grand entrance?" elle said, shaking the thoughts of her sister and focusing on her birthday.

"let's go birthday girl!" lee said before they exited.

everyone stood around the birthday girl and boy, two separate cakes decorated in candles before them.

"happy birthday to you" everyone concluded the song, marilyn stood between elle and lee, tuppen and rachel sat on their respective sides, smiling at the two happily. the two blew their candles out before looking around with smiles.

"so, what'd you wish for?" mrs. flynn asked the two with a grin.

"no, you know the rules" lee spoke.

rule #1: only your best friend gets to know your birthday wishes.

lee leaned over, whispering his wish in elle's ear. elle doing the same before they were both pulled into a crushing hug by loony alice in wonderland.

"i love you guys so much! my little sister and brother are growing ups so fast" marilyn fake cried as they hugged her back before they both placed fat kisses on her cheek. the girl cringed at the feeling of saliva on her face and immediately backed up.