CHAPTER 1

As I walked through the door, the familiar scent of home welcomed me after my long shift at the hospital

I saw my baby girl, Ira, playing with her toys in the living room.

She looked up, her green eyes. So much like her father's sparkling with delight.

Her laughter filled the room, a sweet melody that erased the exhaustion from my bones.

I remembered the struggles of my pregnancy, the long nights of discomfort, and the constant worry.

But seeing Ira now, so healthy and full of life, made every moment of pain worth it. She was my world, my everything.

"Mummaa!" she exclaimed as she spotted me, her tiny legs carrying her as fast as they could towards me.

I scooped her up into my arms, feeling the warmth of her little body against mine. I had only been away for two hours, but it felt like an eternity.

Ira's eyes reminded me of her father.

She had his eyes and his perfectly shaped lips.

He was a rich brat who often made headlines for his affairs with models and actresses.

I remembered the day everything fell apart, but I pushed the thoughts aside.

Ira was here, and she was all that mattered.

As I held her, she slowly drifted off to sleep in my arms. I pecked her forehead gently and laid her down in her crib. She looked so peaceful, her tiny chest rising and falling with each breath.

I turned to Aunty Maya, Ira's nanny.

"Thank you for everything, Aunty. I'll see you tomorrow," I said, knowing how much she loved Ira.

I had funded her daughter's education, and in return, she cared for Ira as if she were her own granddaughter.

After bidding Aunty goodbye, I crawled into bed beside Ira, feeling a wave of contentment wash over me.

My sweet baby girl was safe and sound, and that was all that mattered.

I closed my eyes, listening to the gentle rhythm of her breathing, and drifted off to sleep.

----------

Suddenly, I felt someone touching my face. Slowly, I opened my eyes and saw Ira, continuously rubbing her eyes and trying to grab my face with her tiny hands.

Her doe eyes looked at me with curiosity and innocence. I realized I had fallen asleep. I quickly got up, took her into my arms, and asked, "Ira, are you hungry?"

She blinked her eyes and then rested her face on my neck, her warm breath a comforting presence.

I stood up from the bed, carrying her, and moved to the kitchen. As I prepared a milkshake for her, I couldn't help but smile.