CHAPTER 4

"Chapter 5" is updated on scrollstack!!

I moved closer to Ira, and as the man turned towards me, it felt like the ground slipped from under my feet. This cannot happen.

No...

I ran to Ira and scooped her into my arms. Panic and fear gripped me.

I don't know why, but I yelled, "I told you not to talk to strangers!"

Our eyes met just for a second.

Ira's eyes widened in fear and confusion. She didn't understand my words, but she sensed my distress.

Tears welled up in her innocent eyes, and I could feel my own tears threatening to spill over. But I had to be strong.

Just then, Alpana Aunty came over, her face etched with concern. "Beta, why are you scolding her?"

I tried to explain, my voice trembling. "Aunty, she shouldn't talk to strangers."

Alpana Aunty sighed softly, a gentle smile on her face.

"She is just two years old, beta. And that man is Veer, Avyansh's best friend."

What had I done? I set Ira down gently, my hands shaking. "I'm so sorry, Ira,"

I whispered, but she was already crying.

Without another word, I turned and ran into the mansion, tears streaming down my face.

I locked the door behind me and slammed myself onto the bed. Tears poured out of me as if they would never stop.

His name, his face, they all came rushing back, bringing with them the pain I endured when I was pregnant. Every memory was a dagger to my heart.

I remembered the complications, the fear, and the loneliness. I had done everything on my own.

My pregnancy journey was fraught with challenges. But when Ira was born, it all seemed worth it. She was my light, my reason to keep going. And yet, I had to bear it all because of that jerk.

Oh God, I scolded my baby. I shouldn't have done that. The guilt was suffocating.

I sat up and wiped my face, trying to compose myself. Ira needed me to be strong.

I splashed water on my face, the coldness jolting me back to the present.

Taking a deep breath, I left the room and went to find my baby.

I heard my baby crying, her sobs endless and heart-wrenching. She was in Hrida's arms, and Hrida was showering her with kisses, but nothing seemed to soothe her.

My heart ached as I watched.

I reached out, wanting to take Ira into my arms, but she turned away, refusing to come to me. The pain of her rejection cut deep.