CHAPTER 12

Chapter 13 & 14 updated on scrollstack ✨

I opened my eyes and was met with an unusual sight: Dhriti standing amidst a sea of water, with Ira securely in her arms.

The gentle splash of water against my skin jolted me awake. Dhriti's face was etched with a mix of anguish and fury, her eyes brimming with unshed tears.

"What was that?"

I asked, my arms instinctively folding around my chest as if to shield myself from her emotional outburst.

Her voice trembled, barely above a whisper. "How could you take me away from my kid?"

The depth of her pain struck me harder than any harsh words could.

For a moment, I felt a rush of anger, ready to reprimand her for her outburst. But then, I saw her eyes those vulnerable, pleading eyes that spoke volumes of her love and fear.

"I didn't," I said, my voice softening as I approached her.

"You were exhausted, so I just placed you on the bed. Ira played a bit and then fell asleep."

Dhriti didn't respond. Her gaze was fixed on the floor, and she turned and walked out of the room, leaving me alone with my thoughts.

Her silence was louder than any argument, echoing the unspoken pain between us.

As I stood there, still drenched from her sudden splash, I realized I needed to take a shower and change into dry clothes.

The clock read 6:00 PM when I walked into the living room.

The sight that greeted me stopped me in my tracks. Dhriti was clutching Ira tightly on the sofa, tears streaming down her face.

My heart tightened at the sight. I couldn't know why she was crying, but it was clear she had been at it for a while.

I moved closer, trying to steady my voice as I said, "Don't ever do that again."

Dhriti turned her face away, her shoulders shaking slightly with silent sobs.

"I'm talking to you, my wife,"
I said, trying to hold her gaze.

Her response was a soft, broken whisper,
"I'm not your wife."

My frustration flared, but I forced myself to sit beside her, trying to bridge the gap between us.

"You are," I remarked.

Dhriti rolled her eyes and, with a tired sigh, said, "Me and my baby are hungry."

The realization hit me like a waveIra hadn't eaten since noon. I stood up, my resolve hardening. "Let's go," I said firmly.

Dhriti looked at me with a mixture of skepticism and hesitation. "There's nothing in the kitchen," she said quietly.

I shook my head in response. There was an awkward silence, and then Dhriti added,