Chapter Nine: Cursed

Growl? Rumble?

Mind you that wasn't the sound of some wild animal or the roaring of thunder. Rather it was the grumbling of someone's stomach due to being starved. And this was none other than Daniel.

After spending minutes staring at Carolina in dazed, he snapped out of it after hearing the sound coming out of his own stomach. It was at this point he realized that he was starving.

"Man after having a sumptuous lunch with Felicia I still feel like I just returned from a three-day hunger strike," Daniel frowned as he immediately began cleaning up the mess on the floor. Due to his tidiness OCD he spent so much time cleaning the floor that before he finished, it was 4:30pm.

Caroline meowed as it lay on the ground, curling itself into a ball and closed its eyes. Obviously it was filled from eating the mushrooms and fell asleep immediately.

Daniel yawned hungrily as he walked to the kitchen to find some food to eat. He wasn't hopeful that he would find any food there since his mother would be returning to cook dinner but he had to try his luck any way. His hunger wasn't giving him the time to give up.

He walked towards the cupboard and opened it. His lips immediately curled up into a smile after the seeing the contents within the cupboard. There was a bag of cheese, two bags of dried mushrooms, a fat can of sardine and a large plastic bag containing milk. His eyes watered with greed as his mouth watered for the whole food there. It took him a lot of selfcontrol to resist the greed. In the end he settled for a bag of dried mushrooms.

"And I almost thought I'd die of hunger," Daniel said as he took a large cup, opened the plastic bag containing milk and poured it inside. He then carried the stuff to his room to eat.

As he sat on his bed and wanted to eat, his food rang. He couldn't help but frown as he felt that the whole world was fighting against him, preventing him from eating. He had escaped from Walter for God's sake and needed some time to recover himself!

Not so many people had his phone number so he immediately knew who was calling him. He took out his smartphone from his pocket and saw his mother's name on the caller ID. His assumption had been correct. He quickly picked the call.

"Good afternoon, mum," he greeted with a smile, his right hand slowly opening the bag of dried mushrooms. He couldn't wait to eat.

"Good afternoon, Dan," Mrs. Stark said from the other end. "How are you doing?"

"I'm very fine," Daniel replied. Even though I just escaped from Walter and his bully friends.

Mrs. Stark paused for some moments as if she was thinking about something. Then she said, "Your voice carries that tone when you're lying."

"..."

Daniel was momentarily speechless. When did his mum become a telepath? Luckily for him, Mrs. Stark didn't hap on the matter as she continued:

"I hope you've eaten?"

"Uh, no," Daniel felt he shouldn't lie about this one or his mum was gonna figure out that he was hiding something.

"It's 4:31pm, why haven't you eaten?" Mrs. Stark asked. "Do you want to get hunger pangs?"

"I'm about to eat," Daniel replied.

"I hope you'd enjoy the chicken soup with mushrooms," Mrs. Stark said with a happy voice.

I definitely would have enjoyed it mum, Daniel thought, but Caroline took the initiative to do so.

He glanced at the cat which was still sleeping and smiled warmly. This pet was so adorable even when it was sleeping.

"Uhm, Dan I won't be coming home today," Mrs. Stark said. "I won't be coming home today and tomorrow. I have several things to attend to at the hospital."