2x01 (Story H - Saved) Part 2 - Adeleas' examination

The little group returns to Tifan's Well to give Moiraine and Lan a proper healing.

It felt like an eternity until Adeleas stopped, though Lan was sure it hadn't been that long. The pain was reduced to a dull throb, but his body felt stiff.

"That should do it for now," Verin explained on his left, sighing.

Lan opened his eyes and forced himself into a sitting position. Blood and ashes! His arms trembled like he suddenly was too weak to carry his own weight! Adeleas had to help him, or he would have fallen back on the ground.

Panting, the Malkieri looked at his useless hands. So much for his plan to carry Moiraine after his healing. Apparently, he had completely forgotten how much strength someone lost when he received a healing.

"Let's get them back to Tifan's Well. I don't want to stay here longer than necessary."

The uncrowned king of Malkier looked at the Brown Sister. She had helped Moiraine into a sitting position, but the woman of the Blue Ajah was obviously not in the condition to get back on her feet on her own. Lan saw her hands were trembling, way worse than his.

But when the Malkieri leaned toward the Carihien woman, two gentle hands held him back. Adeleas moved behind him, pressing her body against his back while wrapping her arms around his chest.

"Don't." Her warm breath tickled his ear, and the close contact made him uncomfortable. Light, when would that woman understand he wasn't interested in her?! "You can't help her right now. Focus on your own strength."

"Tomas can you take Mo...?" Verin's eyes found Lan's, and she saw the anger in them. The smart woman seemed to need only a heartbeat to remember the protectiveness of a Warder toward his Aes Sedai because she quickly changed her mind. "Can you help Adeleas with Lan?"

Finally, Moiraine turned her head and looked at Lan. Relief washed over the Malkieri when their eyes locked. She would survive. Verin hadn't healed her completely – just like Adeleas hadn't healed all his injuries – but she would make it back to Tifan's Well to receive the final healing. And was he imagining or did he see worry in her gaze?

Her eyes moved lower, and Lan noticed how the Cairhien woman narrowed her eyes at something. Was she angry? But at what? Was she angry with him because he hadn't been able to win against those Fades? – Because he had been injured? But Moiraine usually knew how hard it was to fight one Myrddraal – and he had to fight against two at once.

Confused, Lan watched as her eyes returned to his face, yet he had the feeling she wasn't looking at him directly. No, Moiraine's focus was on something... beside him. What was he missing?

Adeleas pressed her forehead against the side of Lan's face, and he heard her inhaling deeply. What was that woman doing?

The Malkieri shifted uncomfortably, then noticed the Aes Sedai's facial muscles moving. No, that couldn't be the reason. Yet, it looked like... Moiraine was jealous of Adeleas?! Could it be possible that his smart and strong bondholder was truly jealous of her Green Sister touching him, although it had been her who had refused his touch for months?

The urge to touch Moiraine rolled over the uncrowned king of Malkier and he leaned forward, ignoring Adeleas and his injuries.

"Moiraine...."

But the woman of the Blue Ajah turned her head away, whispering something to Verin, who nodded. Then Tomas blocked Lan's view, grabbing Lan's arm gently. "Easy, my friend."

"Lan," Adeleas said in a reproachful voice when she felt his attempts to reach his Aes Sedai.

"I need...," the Malkieri began, trying to free himself from the Warder and clinging Aes Sedai but wasn't strong enough. "Moiraine...."