1x01 - (Story B) - Aftermath

The dust was slowly fading, while Lan tried to hold his breath. He was still shielding Moiraine with his body and hoped that she hadn't inhaled the dust. Using that much of the One Power was exhausting, and he was still impressed that she had managed it to kill all the Trollocs.

When most of the dust was gone, Lan inhaled carefully. He had to cough twice, but then the air was clear enough to breathe. Slowly, he sat upright and took in his surroundings. He heard the moans of the hurt and the painful cries of the heavily injured ones. The once beautiful tree was still burning, but not one of the Trollocs was moving.

Lan's eyes returned to Moiraine's face. She was still unconscious. The dust had settled in her hair, so her dark brown hair seemed gray now. He probably didn't look much better.

"Are you alright?" The mayor, Bran al'Vere, appeared by Lan's side and laid his hand on Lan's shoulder.

Lan nodded shortly. His shoulder was burning, but he knew that it wasn't actually his shoulder. Moiraine was in pain because he hadn't stopped the blade of the Trolloc.

"What were those creatures?" The mayor sounded rattled, while he took in the dead army. He had never seen a Trolloc in his life.

"Trollocs."

Bran's dirty and bloody face turned pale. With big eyes, he turned back to the warder. "Trollocs? But... they are not... no one has seen... Light, save us."

Lan was close to strangling the man. Moiraine had been right. Those villagers had forgotten about the danger, which was still moving through the land. Aes Sedai and Trollocs belonged to stories, which were told to little children when they were misbehaving. Has no one of the villagers left the village in their life? How had they survived that long? Hadn't the peddler brought them news of what had happened in the world outside of the Two Rivers?

Instead, the warder focused on his inner calmness, while they were surrounded by the cries of the injured ones. These people needed help. And the mayor needed instructions. He hadn't been confronted with such a situation before. "We need to help your people. Many of them are injured and won't survive the night if we don't help them."

Bran nodded slowly, while he thought about Lan's words. "Our wisdom... Nynaeve... she can help. I will find her."

"She can't do it alone. She will need help. Maybe the other women of the women's circle have some knowledge about herbs and how to treat wounds."

"My wife and daughter. They can help. They will organize everything." Bran's eyes fell on Moiraine. "She is... an Aes Sedai."

Lan waited for the man to continue, although he had a feeling what this man wanted to ask of him. Everyone in this village knew that Moiraine was an Aes Sedai since the moment they had entered the tavern. If he was mentioning it now, he could only be asking for...

The mayor noticed that Lan wasn't helping him this time with his words. He gulped, then he stumbled: "I heard that they can... well, heal people. Can she...?"

"Not in her condition. Give her some time and then we'll see."

"Of course." Bran nodded quickly, but he looked relieved.

"DAD!" A crying Egwene ran towards her father and hugged him tightly. Her mother followed at a slower pace, but when her eyes fell on Lan and Moiraine, she quickly kneeled down by the side of the Aes Sedai.

"Is she alright?"

"She is exhausted.", Lan explained.

"Do you need anything? Water, food,..."

"We'll be fine."

But Marin al'Vere was stubborn. She had seen how Moiraine and Lan had fought against the Trollocs and she knew that everyone would be dead if those two hadn't been by their side. "You have fought against those monsters. We are alive because you two killed most of them. You drew their attention and gave us the possibility to escape. Name what you need and I will get it for you."