1x05 (Story A) - Letting go

The Warders sat around their fire, but there was no laughter anymore. Everyone was still trying to process what had happened today. The attack of Logain's army. Almost every one of them had been hurt. Some of them had been close to death like Lan had. And then there was Kerene's death. Every one of them could feel Stepin's grief, even though no one else had lost their Aes Sedai. But it was no secret how painful it was for a Warder to lose your bonded woman.

The sight of Stepin burying Kerene, how he had taken her golden serpent ring, and now watching him suffer from her death, made every Warder think about their own bonds. Very easily, it could have been one of their Aes Sedai.

Nynaeve, who was sitting at their fire again, wasn't in a better mood. Almost everyone had seen her using the One Power to save Lan and the others. Until now, she had only received interested glances from the women of the Red Ajah, but otherwise, no one had approached or talked to her. Even Lan hadn't talked to her. After the battle, he had helped the Warders to bury the dead soldiers, and then he had watched Moiraine from afar.

"I'm going to bed." It was the first thing, Stepin had said since he had felt Kerene's death. Although it hadn't been louder than a whisper, everyone shrugged since they had been lost in their own thoughts.

Lan was the first, who got on his feet and followed his friend to the tent. The Warders had agreed that they had to observe Stepin. Everyone had heard that Warders couldn't live without their Aes Sedai and would kill themselves. And Lan was determined to keep his friend alive.

Meanwhile, Moiraine sat at the fire of the green sisters. Like the Warders and the sisters of the Red Ajah, no one said a word or ate anything. Not even Alanna, who was rarely seen without some kind of food.

The memories from the cave hunted Moiraine. For once, there was the moment when Kerene, Liandrin, and she had tried to shield Logain again after he had escaped his prison. Three powerful Aes Sedai, but Logain had almost killed them all. Because of Kerene's sacrifice, they were still alive. Again, Moiraine saw how Kerene collapsed on the ground, gasping for air. At this moment, Moiraine had almost released her weave to heal her sister. But then Logain would've been free and would've killed everyone. Kerene's death had been the lesser evil.

Her memories moved on and now she saw a furious Stepin, who attacked Logain with his axes. She had felt how the blades had cut through their shield, but before Liandrin or she could do anything, Logain had used the weapons of the poor Warder to attack everyone in the cave.

She remembered the pain in her stomach when the handle of an axe had pierced her skin. It hadn't been as bad as when she had been hit by the blade of the Trolloc. Still, she had been more affected by it, since she had also been feeling Lan's pain and had felt him dying. All those feelings had knocked her out. Moiraine remembered how she had tried to breathe, but the pain had overwhelmed her. It had taken precious seconds for her to be able to move again. Sadly, even then she only had been able to crawl. This short distance between her Warder and herself had suddenly turned into an endless road. The Aes Sedai had tried to reach Lan. She had fought for every inch to get closer to him. Her hand had been reaching for him. If she could've only touched his throat then she would've been able to heal him and... she had felt how his life had quickly left his body. Their bond had turned number with every passing second and his presence in her mind had become weaker. She was losing him!

"Moiraine." Alanna's gentle voice pulled the woman of the Blue Ajah out of those terrible memories.

She realized that her hands were shaking uncontrollably. Alanna sat down beside her and took her hands into her own. Moiraine wanted to pull back, but Alanna's grip was strong. "Lan is alive."