2x01 (Story E - Rage) What have I done?

Lanis angry about Moiraine and goes to the stable to calm himself. While replayingthe situation in his mind, he remembers how Moiraine has acted after theyreturned to Fal Dara.

Quote: "Make it yourself. And have it wherever you want." (Lan)

Chapter 1 – What have I done?

Fuming, Lan stormed out of the house, aiming for the stables. Light, he couldn't remember when he had been THAT angry for the last time! When had he been that angry with Moiraine?!

She never had been cold and cruel to him – not once in the last twenty years. But for the last few months... Angrily, the uncrowned king of Malkier gritted his teeth. Blood and ashes! He had told himself to stay calm! – Not to get angry with her! It had been his plan to break that wall of hers with a gentle tone, showing her, he still cared about their mission and about her. But she had ignored him completely. Like he hadn't said anything at all.

Bayle Doman. A sailor from Illian.

After the Malkieri hadn't been able to keep the slight annoyance from his voice, the Aes Sedai gave him a piece of information like someone who would throw a piece of meat at the dogs. Something to chew on, but not enough to be satisfied.

What had he done to deserve her cold behavior? Did his questions anger her? Or couldn't she stand his presence any longer now that they weren't bonded anymore? Did those twenty years together mean nothing to her? Did she wanted to get rid of him for good?

Lan reached Mandarb's box. After bringing Nynaeve and Egwene to the White Tower, he had taken Mandarb and Aldieb with him. The two clever horses had returned to Tar Valon after Moiraine and Lan had sent them away, and someone must have taken care of them – Lan assumed it had been Alanna and her Warders since the two men had led the Malkieri to the stables.

Aldieb had the box beside the black stallion, and both horses placed their heads over the door to welcome the Warder. They weren't used to being in a stable for that long. Usually, they were always traveling through the land, searching for the Dragon Reborn or running from danger. Lan knew that Moiraine always made sure to visit Aldieb every day, but her visits were short.

Is an Aes Sedai not allowed her secrets?

The uncrowned king of Malkier wanted to punch something when he remembered his bondholder's smile. How could she smile at him like that? For months, he tried to get her to notice him – to trust him with her secrets. He had changed his strategy countless times.

At first, he had wanted to stay close to her but gave up after it was clear that she didn't want him near her. It hurt whenever she shied away from his touch, though, in the beginning, it seemed more like a reflex than an actual decision. So, Lan had given Moiraine some room. He had kept his distance, listened and obeyed to all of her wishes no matter how painful they were to him, and tried to be the perfect Warder. But nothing worked.

Moiraine stayed cold and distant until one morning, she told him she wouldn't stop him should he decide to return to Tar Valon. It had been the first time, the Warder had looked at his Aes Sedai like he didn't know her. The words, which had come out of her mouth, made no sense to him. How could she suggest... that he would leave her... while knowing she was in a terrible place right now?

Lan had been too shocked to answer anything. He simply left the room without a word. He didn't know what the Cairhien woman had done, but the Malkieri had taken a round around the house – clearing his mind. Since then, he approached her differently. Every time, Lan thought about a new way to cross Moiraine's wall and reach his bondholder. Sadly, not every attempt ended in a friendly way.