2x01 (Story H - Saved) Part 3 - One hour

No one keeps Lan from his Aes Sedai.

It felt like forever until Lan reached the chair with his pants and even longer until he managed to put them on. Once he was done, he decided not to put on his shoes. It didn't matter if he walked barefoot through the house. He didn't even try to close the new tunic he had put on. Getting dressed had cost him a lot of time – time he didn't have when everyone in that house wanted him to stay in his room.

Aching, Lan opened the door and left, aiming for Moiraine's room. It wasn't far – at least that he had been able to prevent – but in his condition, it felt like the longest walk he had ever taken.

The door of the Cairhien woman's room stood open, and the Malkieri needed one look to see his bondholder lying in her bed. So, Verin was done with her.

His chest burned, reminding him that Adeleas wasn't the best healer among the Green Ajah. But he didn't want to search for Verin. The Brown Sister would only send him back to his room, and he couldn't fight her in his condition. Slowly, he made his way over to the bed.

"Lan!"

The uncrowned king of Malkier grimaced when Verin's shocked voice reached his ear. She had been hidden by the open door, folding Moiraine's worn clothes, and didn't seem amused to see him.

"What are you doing out of bed?"

"How is she?" Lan decided to ignore Verin's question. His only concern was Moiraine's well-being.

"I healed her, but it pulled heavily at her strength. She just fell asleep."

Moiraine fell asleep? Warily, the Warder stepped closer to the bed. His Aes Sedai wasn't someone who fell asleep easily when she wasn't alone. No, he knew how Moiraine looked when she was truly sleeping. The woman of the Blue Ajah was pretending – probably hoping Verin would finally leave her alone – and heard every word they were speaking.

"Lan."

The softness in Verin's voice almost made the Warder jump. She had come closer to him, reaching out for him with her hands, so he stepped back. Should she get her hands on him...

Sighing, the Green Sister stopped and held up her hands in defense, showing him, she didn't intend to do anything to him. "Lan, Moiraine will be all right. You need to rest. Your body needs time to heal properly."

"She is my Aes Sedai."

"And no one wants to take her from you."

Lan almost laughed. No one wanted to take her from him except for Moiraine herself. He still didn't know why she had left Tifan's Well in the middle of the night without including him in her plans, but there was no doubt the stubborn woman of the Blue Ajah would run again if he gave her the opportunity.

"I almost lost her today," Lan whispered.

Why could no one understand why he needed to be close to his bondholder? Verin and Tomas were bonded for many years. At least they should know the feeling! – The fear that had settled in Lan's bones!

Finally, the Brown Sister released a heavy sigh. "All right. You have an hour, and then I'll send Tomas to get you back to your room. Understood?"

An hour. It wasn't much, but it was better than being sent out again. Verin could make him do anything should she use the One Power on him. So, the uncrowned king of Malkier nodded, agreeing.

"Come. Let me help you."

This time, the Warder didn't shy away from the Aes Sedai's touch. He allowed her to guide him to the bed when she suddenly saw the unhealed cut on his hand. "What is that?! Didn't Adeleas heal you?!"