1x07 (Story A) - Memories

Moiraine leaned against the wall and watched how the Ogier's fingers were moving over the Guiding Stone, while he mumbled to himself. At least, that's what the others were seeing.

In truth, she wasn't even seeing what was in front of her. Her mind had drifted off and was caught in her memories.

"Perhaps it is your noble blood, Lady Moiraine Damodred, that breeds contempt for those you consider beneath you."

"What were you thinking? I'm on a knife's edge here, and that... that display you forced me to put on has made everything we're trying to do much hard... Don't smile. Skin me and salt me, if you don't take idiotic risks."

"You are exiled from this tower."

"Swear your oath, Moiraine Sedai. Before your sisters, in this sacred hall."

"Stop." Moiraine blinked when a familiar voice ripped her from her memories. Lan stood in front of her. When had he stepped in front of her? How long was he already standing there? Had the Emond's Fielder noticed as well?

There was worry in Lan's eyes. Obviously, he must have felt how much the memories had hurt her. Quickly, Moiraine moved her head aside before he could see anything in them. Her eyes wandered over their sleeping companions. At least, none of them had noticed what she had been thinking about.

Lan's calloused hand cupped her cheek. Immediately, Moiraine leaned into his touch and closed her eyes. It felt so good to know that he was by her side. She may have lost her place in Tar Valon and Siuan, but Lan was always there for her. He was her safe haven, her rock, her home.

Gently, Lan pulled her face back to him. "Look at me." His voice was soft, while his thumb was stroking over her cheek.

Moiraine bit down on her lower lip. She didn't want him to see. Wasn't it enough that he had already felt her pain? What could he possibly see that he didn't already feel through the bond?

Lan's forehead met hers. "Moiraine.", he whispered softly. His warm breath on her lips made her shiver, and she inhaled involuntarily. Blood and ashes! This insufferable man knew how to get under her skin. "Look at me."

Fluttering her eyelids opened. She couldn't deny him such a simple request. Lan smiled at his success. "There you are."

There was so much love in his eyes that it warmed Moiraine's heart. One look in Lan's eyes, and suddenly, the pain of the memories was gone. A smile appeared on her own lips. Lan was one of the two people, who were able to make her smile like no one else could. An honest smile.

"What is it?"

Moiraine opened her mouth, but no words came out. How should she explain it to him? That he was everything to her? That he meant the world to her? How thankful she was to have this man by her side. Even when she had nothing, she had Lan.

The Warder pulled back in confusion since he couldn't address her feelings. But Moiraine wanted him close. No, she needed him close! The Emond's Fielder were asleep, and Loial was occupied with the Guiding Stone.

Her arms moved around his waist and pulled him close. She leaned her forehead against his chest and inhaled his unique scent. This was her Lan. This was what she had needed since she had left the Hall of the Tower. Since Siuan had exiled her from the White Tower. Maybe she should have allowed him to stand in the Hall with her. But he had to gather Nynaeve, Rand, and Mat to bring them to the Waygate.

The woman of the Blue Ajah flinched when she felt Lan's fingers in her hair, but relaxed in the next moment. His other hand rubbed slow circles on her neck. "You don't have to shoulder everything alone, you know? We're in this together."