1x03 (Story B) - (Un)happy reunion

They were on the road for hours and still they haven't reached the tents of the Red Ajah. Lan was getting more nervous by the minute, although he didn't let it show on the outside. Moiraine was resting her eyes, while he was keeping her body upright on the horse. From time to time, he checked on her through the bond, and every time, she was getting weaker. Lan sent her as much of his strength as possible, but he knew that it was useless. It wouldn't save her. Only an Aes Sedai could help them now. But the red tents were nowhere in sight!

He also was surprised how quiet the Wisdom had stayed during the hours. Not one word had come over her lips, although he saw from the corner of his eyes that she was angry. He assumed that it would be any minute until she would...

"We've been heading southwest for three hours now!" There it was. "You care to tell me why?!"

Lan thought about answering her, but then his eyes fell on a figure on top of the big stone wall and he brought Mandarb to a halt. Relief washed over him when he recognized a green sister on her horse. This was good. A green sister would be more willing to help Moiraine.

Nynaeve, who had her eyes on Lan, hadn't seen the sister, but she followed his example and stopped her horse beside him. She was still hoping for an answer.

"Moiraine, we need you now.", Lan said softly and finally Nynaeve got aware of what had caught Lan's attention.

The injured woman was slowly opening her eyes then she took in their surroundings until her eyes landed on the stone walls and the three Aes Sedai, who were observing the little group from their high positions. She also felt relieved when she saw that two of them belonged to the Green Ajah. They would be able to help them.

Suddenly, a movement on the ground caught her eye. A single rider approached them. A rider, who was dressed in red. Moiraine squinted her eyes and recognized blond hair. 'Oh, light. Please don't let it be her. Everyone else but not her.'

The rider came closer, and Moiraine felt how Lan exhaled heavily behind her. He had recognized the rider as well and wasn't very happy about it either. From all the red sisters they could've met, they had to find HER.

Liandrin stopped her horse at some distance from the little group, but Moiraine was still able to see the smirk on the face of the other woman. "Moiraine Sedai." It sounded as if Liandrin couldn't believe it to actually see Moiraine in flesh and blood.

"Liandrin Sedai.", Moiraine greeted the other woman politely. She wouldn't beg this woman for a healing. One of the others could help her too.

"If you're here to help then you're too late." The words sounded bitter, but Moiraine didn't care. She was more confused about the meaning of the words. Why should she be here to help? And with what?

More riders appeared on the road, but those were men. The red's had no Warders. So, they were the Warders of their green sisters. Then a big construct came into sight, which looked like... a cage?

Liandrin saw the confusion on Moiraine's face and a triumphal smile appeared on her lips. "Or didn't you hear?"

The woman of the Blue Ajah wanted to wipe this smile off Liandrin's face, but her shoulder was burning. The pain was almost unbearable, and Moiraine needed the rest of her strength to keep herself from screaming. Without Lan's presence, she wouldn't sit on the horse anymore. She didn't even have the strength to shield her Warder from the pain.

Liandrin saw Moiraine's questioning look and was more than happy to announce the good news. "We captured a man calling himself the Dragon Reborn."

Shocked, Moiraine's eyes moved quickly to the cage. Now she was able to see a man on the inside. 'Could this be? No, this was impossible. He isn't the real Dragon. One of the Emond's Fielder is the Dragon Reborn.'