1x07 (Story C) - Left behind

The rays of the sun warmed Lan's muscular back, while he slowly woke up. It felt good to be back in the Borderlands. This was his home. The place where he was able to relax. Everywhere else, he had to be on high alert. Even in the White Tower. Well, maybe he wasn't on high alert when he was surrounded by the other Warders, but he was still careful.

Maybe it was the smell. The smell of being home. Of being close to Malkier that allowed his body to calm down and to get the rest he needed.

Lan sighed and stretched himself. He knew that it was important to leave Fal Dara very soon, but right now he wanted to... Suddenly, Lan was fully awake and raised his head alarmed. He couldn't feel Moiraine anymore! 'She must have masked the bond again! But why should she mask our bond?! She knows how much I hate it when she does it!'

The Warder was already on his knees when he suddenly noticed a different smell on his blanket. Confused, he inhaled and memories of last night filled his head. Nynaeve, who had followed him through the streets of Fal Dara. Nynaeve, who entered his bedroom and asked him if she should leave. His fingers moved gingerly over her arm. The feeling of her soft lips on his own. Her skin...

Lan sighed and dropped the blanket. 'Light, I'm an idiot. Of course, she masked our bond after last night. She must have felt how Nynaeve and I... light.' Relieved, he rubbed his tired face. Moiraine probably had fallen asleep, while their bond had been masked.

But it didn't explain where Nynaeve was. The other side of his bed was still warm, which meant that the young woman of the Two Rivers must have left him recently. Although he was more impressed that she had been able to leave the room without waking him. This woman... there was something about her. No one else was able to sneak up on him. But not only had she done that, but she had also tracked him down after the Trolloc attack on her village.

Lan took a closer look at his room. Nothing. No, Nynaeve was truly gone. Was she embarrassed? What would she do now? Would she never mention it again?

'Stop thinking such nonsense. She will never be yours, and you have work to do. You need to make preparations for our departure. Soon, Moiraine will be awake, and then you have to be ready.'

A last deep sigh, then the Warder got out of bed. He couldn't waste any more time.

After Lan had informed the kitchen of their departure and had ordered food for the way, he walked to Moiraine's room. Their bond was still masked, which made him extremely nervous. It was unlike his Aes Sedai to sleep that long. Usually, she was up with the first ray of the sun. Her mind was constantly working and developing plans. Or did she assume that he was still with Nynaeve? But that would be ridiculous!

The Warder reached the door and knocked. Silence was his only answer. Was she really still asleep? Carefully, he opened the door and slipped in. The bed was empty, and so was the room. One look at the balcony confirmed that Moiraine wasn't in there. Where was she?! And why was their bond still masked?!

Alarmed, Lan turned and started to run through the corridors. He searched everywhere, but his Aes Sedai was nowhere to be found. Slowly, Lan felt how panic was rising within him. Without the bond, he had no clue where to search. She could be anywhere. What if she was hurt? Why hadn't she called for him? 'Damn you, Moiraine! Where are you?! Last night, you were ready to strangle the seer just to get a clear answer. Why would you suddenly delay our...?'

Lan passed a window and stopped. The view showed Tavern's gap in the distance. And behind it was... 'Oh Moiraine. Please, you can't be that foolish.'

This time, Lan ran through the corridors in search of his friends from the Borderlands. Uno, who wore an eyepatch since he had lost an eye, should be able to give him the answer he was searching for. His Shienarer friends knew Moiraine, as well as they knew what she was.