2x01 (Story C) - Two Warders

Lan doesn't know what to do with Moiraine and searches for advice. Can Tomas help him?

Quote: "An Aes Sedai needs a Warder." (Lan)

Lan didn't know what he had expected. She hadn't allowed him to stay all the other times. Why should it be different this time? Because this time, her visitor is from Illian.

It took all of Lan's patience not to turn around and storm the room. Why couldn't he stay with her? Why couldn't he know about what they were talking about? What did he do to lose her trust? Hadn't he kept her secrets all those years?

They had been searching for the Dragon Reborn for over twenty years – had always been on the road and rarely had a comfortable, warm bed to relax. Lan had never complained about their lifestyle or that they rarely had been in Tar Valon. They had a mission, and he would see it through with her until the end.

But a while ago, Moiraine had decided that he wasn't worthy anymore of her trust and her secrets. It frustrated him that he knew as little as Verin and Adeleas. Why couldn't they go back to the way they had been before she left him behind in Fal Dara?

The uncrowned king of Malkier felt like he would explode any second. Apparently, it hadn't been enough to exhaust himself with his training. Angrily, Lan punched the wall. Light, he wasn't much of a talker, but he needed someone to talk to! And his partner – the woman he trusted and loved for twenty years – wasn't available.

I need to find Tomas, Lan thought. He is a Warder like me and bonded to Verin far longer than Moiraine and I have been.

A flash of sadness moved over his face. In the past, he had gone to Stepin for advice. The man had always laughed about Lan's insecurities but Lan had always left his friend with a smile on his face and a way to deal with his current problem with his bondholder.

But Stepin was gone. His friend, who had always cheered him up with his good mood, had ended his life to be reunited with his Aes Sedai. And Lan couldn't even be angry with him. He would die for Moiraine any time and the thought of losing her...

Lan's heart ached at the simple imagination of Moiraine dying in his arms, and he had to lean against the wall. He loved her – even now when she kept him at a distance and ignored him – and he didn't want to lose her.

The uncrowned king of Malkier hated the abyss that was currently separating him from the Cairhien woman but wanted to be damned if he stopped trying to get to her. One day, he would get through her stubborn brain and break the wall she had built around her.

But until then, it can't hurt to ask Tomas for help. Maybe he has an idea to help me with what else I could try. Or perhaps he can at least calm me again.

Sighing, the Warder pushed himself off the wall and started his search for Tomas.

Twice, Lan had to hide from Adeleas while he searched for Verin's Warder. The Green Sister was determined to catch him alone, but luckily, Lan knew how to avoid her. When would that woman understand that he wasn't interested in her?

Tomas was working in the garden, harvesting vegetables and herbs for their dinner, when the Malkieri found him. The old Warder lifted his head when he noticed Lan. "Adeleas is searching for you."

Lan nodded. "I almost ran into her twice." He growled when the other Warder chuckled amused. "Can't Verin talk to her?"

"Oh, she tried. But Adeleas refuses to listen. She is a Green, and they love men."