1x04 (Story A) - Comfort

With a smile on his face, Lan left the Warder's fire. The look on Nynaeve's face had been priceless when she had thought about the relationship between Alanna, Maksim, and Ihvon. And now, he was leaving as well to join his Aes Sedai. He was sure that she must have like a thousand questions and no one would give her the answer she was seeking.

When he approached the tent, which the Aes Sedai had given to him and Moiraine, he felt exhausted, but it wasn't his feelings. He had already felt it at the Warder's fire. Moiraine had used the One Power for hours today, although she had just been healed. Lan knew that it was essential to keep an eye on the false Dragon, but he wished that she would have taken a break before helping her sisters with Logain.

Moiraine was sitting on the bed when Lan entered their tent. She watched how he put his sword aside then he just stood there. Looking at her, while he sent his worries and disappointment through the bond. Of course, she understood that he hadn't liked her decision, but she had to find out if she had been wrong with the Emond's Fielder. Was it possible that they had searched at the wrong place? Had she brought the villagers out of their hometown for nothing? Was it possible that she was wrong about one of them being the Dragon Reborn?

Lan felt her doubts and uncertainty and sighed heavily. He couldn't be angry with her when she was in that mood. "He is ten years too old at least. Is he as strong as Egwene?"

Moiraine thought about it, but then she shook her head. "I don't know. I don't think so, but I don't know." She didn't like this uncertainty. She had thought that Egwene could be the Dragon. After all, this young woman was a powerful channeler although she hadn't used the One Power very often by now.

Slowly, Lan moved to her side and sat down beside her. "The dreams. Trollocs. The Dark One isn't after Logain."

"Perhaps he is." A sarcastic laugh escaped Moiraine's lips. "I don't think the Dark One has any more idea who the Dragon is than we do."

"I don't know if that's terrifying or comforting."

Another sarcastic laugh, while they both were lost in their thoughts. It was Moiraine, who broke the silence again. "We lost them. Twenty years we hunted, and we lost them."

"I lost them.", Lan clarified.

Moiraine's voice was soft when she answered: "Your losses are mine. And mine yours." Gently, she took his hand and squeezed it. She didn't blame him for what he had done. Now that she was able to think clearly again, she knew how hard it must have been for Lan.

As her Warder, it was his job to keep her safe. She was his first priority and she knew that this wouldn't change. Because of her, he had to keep an eye on four children, who didn't even trust those two strangers.

Lan smiled and returned her squeeze. "I shouldn't have had a drink."

Surprised, Moiraine looked at her Warder. What was he talking about? How did he make it from their talk about losing the children to having a drink? Sometimes, she didn't understand Lan's trains of thought.

"You always get emotional when I drink."

Moiraine snorted, and Lan looked at her smiling. He knew her too well. None of them talked much about their feelings. And usually, Lan knew how Moiraine reacted when he was drinking, but tonight he had forgotten about it. It just had been nice to be around other Warders again. To be around friends.

The woman of the Blue Ajah realized that she was staring into Lan's eyes and both turned their heads away. She even withdrew her hand.

"How is the Wisdom?" Moiraine needed a different subject.