1x06 (Story B) - Making new plans

Tired, Lan stretched his head from one side to the other. He had been standing outside of Moiraine's bedroom for hours. It wasn't long anymore until dawn, but his Aes Sedai was still not back from her trip with Siuan. Lan hoped that she wouldn't forget the time. Today would be a difficult day, and everyone was watching her.

Suddenly, Lan gasped when Moiraine opened their bond, and her presence returned in his mind just like her feelings. 'Finally.' He hated it whenever she was masking their bond. It was as if he wasn't complete without her.

The Warder felt Moiraine's confirmation through their bond. She was practically urging him to go to bed and get some sleep. In a few hours, they had to prepare for their departure. Lan rolled his shoulders, while he moved down the corridor. He couldn't wait to close his eyes. These past days... Lan stopped midway when he noticed that something felt wrong with Moiraine. Usually, when she returned from a night with Siuan, she was filled with joy and satisfaction. But tonight... 'There is a certain numbness to her feelings.' Why wasn't she happy? She had been looking forward to tonight. He had seen it on her face. In her smile when he had ordered her to be back before dawn, and in her eyes when he had told her to give Siuan his love. What had happened since then?

Since there was only one way to find out, Lan turned around and went back to Moiraine's bedroom. He didn't knock when he entered – he never did that. Moiraine knew that he was coming anyway. She felt him getting closer.

"I'm back. Now, get some sleep."

His Aes Sedai lay curled up on her bed, which was also very unusual for her, and her voice sounded muffled. He closed the door behind him and walked over to her bed. Moiraine hugged one of her pillows tightly, while she hid her face in the linen. Lan dove into their bond. There had to be something, which she was hiding from him. A suppressed feeling...

"Stop this, immediately. Go and leave me alone."

Of course, she felt him searching, but Lan wasn't the kind of man, who gave up so easily. Instead of obeying, he kept searching, while he sat down on her bed. His fingers moved gently through her dark brown locks, and she shivered.

"Don't." Her voice was nothing more than a whisper. And light, she sounded broken.

Softly, he pressed his lips against her temple then his other hand found the pillow's fabric and pulled it slowly out of her grasp.

"Please." Another painful plea, but Lan wouldn't give in to it. He needed to hear the full story or he wouldn't be able to help her.

Suddenly, Moiraine released her grip on the pillow. Since Lan was still pulling at it, he nearly threw it across the room before he was able to stop himself. Meanwhile, she turned around and got back on her feet. 'No, you don't do that.', Lan thought to himself, while he grabbed her by the waist and pulled her back to him.

He was surprised when his Aes Sedai fought like hell to free herself from his grip, but she couldn't hide the tears on her cheeks. Lan's heart ached when he saw his strong and brave Aes Sedai like that. What had happened between her and Siuan?

Well, whatever it was, Moiraine wasn't ready to talk about it. But he could still be there for her. The Warder pulled the crying woman against his chest to minimize the room to fight against him and embraced her tightly. Carefully, he allowed himself to lay down on her bed, and she had no other choice but to follow him. His lips found her forehead, and Lan pressed soft kisses on her skin. 'You're not alone, Moiraine. I'm here for you.'

She started to tremble when he sent her his calm feelings and his strength. So, Lan added his love for her, and then she finally started to cry.