2x01 (Story F) - Really listen

Quote: "Perhaps, instead of trying to force her to speak, it is time for you to be quiet and really listen." (Tomas)

Lan thought about what he would say to Moiraine when he entered the room. She hadn't liked his earlier outburst, and he doubted she had liked his biting answer when he told her she could make her dinner herself.

Not once had he forgotten to bring her dinner in the last twenty years. It had been very early when Siuan had made him promise to watch over Moiraine's eating routines. The Cairhien woman was terrible at thinking about her needs.

At first, the Malkieri had found it ridiculous to remind her to eat or drink but found it satisfying very quickly. He realized that he loved taking care of her. Moiraine never asked much of him, and Lan owed her so much – at least in his opinion.

Yet, it was hard for him to accept her cold behavior though he wished he could keep his calm whenever she tried to push him away.

I think you're taking this all too personally. It has absolutely nothing to do with you. It only affects you if you let it.

Lan's grip around the cutlery tightened when he remembered Adeleas' words. Sometimes, he truly wanted to strangle the Green Sister. It all seemed extremely easy in her eyes. Lan should simply forget about Moiraine and her problems – forget about what they had lost. As long as it meant that the Malkieri was finally paying attention to the woman of the Green Ajah. Light, Adeleas would probably not mind should he suddenly show interest in her! He would end up in her bed faster than he could imagine.

The uncrowned king of Malkier shook his head. No. He didn't want to bed Adeleas. He wished they would have left Tifan's Well months ago. It would take years until he was ready to see that woman again. Hopefully, Moiraine wouldn't ask him to return to Tifan's Well any time soon in the future.

Suddenly, Lan realized he had reached the study room, and the door stood wide open to his surprise. Frowning, he knocked – not wanting to scare his Aes Sedai – but there was no answer.

Carefully, the Warder entered the room, noticing how quiet it was. Moiraine wasn't there. He was sure of that. They didn't have their bond anymore, yet Lan was still able to feel the presence of the Cairhien woman when she was in the same room as he was. And right now, his senses told him that Moiraine had left the room. Nonetheless, his eyes scanned the room, not wanting to oversee her should his senses play a trick on him.

Frustration rolled over him which he quickly tried to suppress. He had sworn himself not to get angry again with Moiraine's behavior. He would stay calm and be patient.

Perhaps, instead of trying to force her to speak, it is time for you to be quiet and really listen.

Really listen. What had Moiraine said to him? She had told him she wanted to eat her dinner up here. But there had been more hidden in her words. By telling him that, she had also announced that she didn't wish to join him and the others. His Aes Sedai wished to be left alone.

Although it pained the uncrowned king of Malkier to obey that wish, he placed the plate on the table. It was still filled with countless pieces of paper, maps, books, and who knew what else. Well, if Moiraine didn't like it, she could still put the papers aside. At least, Lan hoped it would be the papers and books and not her plate. That woman needed to eat!

After he had placed the cutlery beside the plate, Lan stepped back and released a heavy sigh. His Aes Sedai. Where was she now? What was she doing? What was she planning? Would she appreciate his change of mind? Would she forgive him his outburst?

Most women never recover. Most women die.

Lan gritted his teeth when he remembered Adeleas' words. He didn't want to think about Moiraine being suicidal. Yes, she had lost her connection to Saidar but would surely never... Lan's thoughts started to wander again before he could stop himself.