1x03 (Story A) - Procrastination

Mandarb moved quickly through the forest. Lan never liked it to leave Moiraine's side, but this time he had no choice. The wisdom had admitted that she couldn't help Moiraine much longer. They needed another sister of the Aes Sedai.

It had been mere luck that he had found the tents of the Red Ajah so soon. Of course, the Red's weren't his first choice when he had to ask for help, but he couldn't be particular. Moiraine needed their help now, and not even a red sister would deny it to heal another Aes Sedai.

For what felt like the thousandth time today, the warder dove into his bond and searched for his Aes Sedai. Sometimes their connection was stronger, and then there were times when he was barely able to feel her. As if she was slowly drifting away from him. Whenever that happened, Lan's heart stopped for a second. Then he had to bring Mandarb to a halt, so he could send Moiraine his strength and love through the bond. She couldn't give up. His Aes Sedai was a fighter, and he would always remind her that she still had a reason to stay alive. To stay with him.

But right now, their bond was stronger. Unsettled, but strong. Whatever Nynaeve had done to her, it was helping. At least for the moment. Lan had to remind himself that he needed to thank Nynaeve. For helping his Aes Sedai and for staying with her.

Lan reached the two women and was surprised when he saw that Nynaeve was kneeling beside the dying woman. The young woman had a terrible temper and hated the Aes Sedai, but she couldn't walk away from a sick person, who was in need of her help. Nynaeve raised her head when she heard him arriving on Mandarb, and Lan thought that he saw relief in her eyes, but she covered it quickly by putting her mask back in place.

Even Moiraine seemed to react to his return. She moved her head in his direction. Even in her sleep, she knew exactly where he was. But there was more. Even the unsettling feeling, which had been moving inside her, disappeared suddenly and was replaced by joy, trust, and comfort.

A smile appeared on Lan's lips. Although Moiraine had been asleep when he had left her with Nynaeve, her subconsciousness had noticed his absence, and she had missed him. Now that she was feeling his presence close to her, she was relaxing again and felt safe. "I found what we're looking for. Can she ride?", he asked the wisdom.

The look on Nynaeve's face didn't give him much hope. She was desperate, but she answered: "The poultice will give her energy for a few hours, maybe more. But after that..."

Lan sighed heavily. This meant, that he would have only a few hours to get his Aes Sedai to the red sisters. It wasn't ideal, but he had to try. The warder focused on his bonded woman and sent her his love. 'You need to wake up, Moiraine.'

As if she had heard his thoughts, the woman of the Blue Ajah opened her eyes fluttering. Quickly, Lan dismounted Mandarb, while Nynaeve left Moiraine's side to give him some room. Moiraine's eyes lit up when they fell on him, and a small smile appeared on her lips.

"You've left." Those few little words made her cough. She hadn't used her voice in a while, and although Lan had tried to make her gulp some tea, her throat was dry.

"Here." Nynaeve handed him his water bag. "Shall I make some tea?"

"No, we need to leave. You can put out the fire." Lan opened the water bag. Then he helped Moiraine to lift her head and placed the leather object on her lips. While she took small gulps, he explained: "I was searching for a sister, who can heal you."

Moiraine's eyes met his, while she was looking at his feelings through the bond. There was fear mixed with desperation. But there was also a glimpse of hope. "You found someone."

It wasn't a question. His Aes Sedai knew what he was capable of, and she was always trusting him to succeed. Lan nodded, then he tilted the water bag again so that she could take another gulp. Moiraine's hand on his arm made him lower the object again. "Who is it?"