2x02 (Story C) - A sword and a pond

Quote: "Ah. And that's when you knew, huh? Any old Warder can protect you from a Trolloc. But the right one, can protect you from yourself." (Adeleas)

Sighing, Moiraine went to the fire. She couldn't avoid her sisters, Lan, and Tomas forever. Yet, it made her sick when she heard them laughing while she wasn't in the mood to laugh. Why had they insisted on joining her? She hadn't been good company back in Tifan's Well, which hadn't changed on the road.

Lan had prepared a blanket for her to sit comfortably on the ground with her back against a rock. She noticed him shifting when she approached their little group but decided to ignore it. The Malkieri probably had kept an eye on her while she had been caught in her thoughts, pretending to stare at the White Tower. And now, he could finally relax.

"No, no, no, no, no. Do not underestimate him. Tomas, oh, he was delicious back in the day."

Moiraine almost groaned when she realized what Adeleas was talking about. Light, she chose the worst moment ever to return to the fire! Was the Green Sister always thinking about bedding men?

"But he chose our dear, sweet Verin."

Annoyed, Moiraine couldn't stop herself and turned her head toward the Brown Sister. How could Verin live with Adeleas? How was it possible that she kept her calm around that woman and hadn't strangled her sister by now? Well, it looked like Verin was annoyed by Adeleas. Although she was smiling, she raised her eyebrows like she wanted to say, 'Really, Adeleas? Do we have to talk about this again?'

But apparently, the Green Sister was simply drunk because she turned her attention back to Lan. "And that was the end of his sex life."

Moiraine wished someone would knock her out. There was no way she could stand that drunk, laughing woman longer than an hour before she would start throwing something at her. Where did she get the ale-?

"How about you two?" Well, light burned her! Apparently, that woman wasn't as drunk as she had wanted everyone to believe. "You've never told us the story of how you met."

The story of how she met Lan. Adeleas' words brought back memories Moiraine hadn't thought about for a while. There was only one person to who she had told the story of what had happened at her first meeting with Lan, and Siuan hadn't been able to stop laughing for quite a while. Although it was an embarrassing story for Moiraine, she liked to remember it.

"Come, sister. It's late, we should, um..."

"Mm." From the corner of her eye, Moiraine saw how the Green Sister waved at Verin. Adeleas liked to be informed and didn't mind pushing people to reveal their secrets. "It was in the Borderlands, wasn't it? Hmm?"

The woman of the Blue Ajah almost applauded. Adeleas had a fifty percent chance to choose Lan or Moiraine's home region. Of course, she chose the place Lan was coming from.

"You probably saw him prancing across the desert on a black steed, sword out, hair whipping in the wind-"

"It was outside Chachin." Blood and ashes! Adeleas' version had nothing to do with the reality! It sounded like it would come straight out of a romance novel where the beautiful princess saw the handsome, muscular knight on its horse. Moiraine couldn't listen to that nonsense any longer.

Sadly, now she couldn't turn back anymore. After giving Adeleas what she wanted, the Cairhien woman had drawn everyone's attention to herself. Burn Adeleas and her curious tongue. Light, the Aes Sedai could even feel her Warder's eyes on her. "I'd been following him on the road all day."

She saw the disbelief in Lan's eyes when their gazes met. The Malkieri knew she didn't like talking about their first meeting. Usually, she kept her entire life private. Only Lan and Siuan were included in the inner circle – being able to see the woman behind the wall. But now, she had to open herself up to Verin, Adeleas, and Tomas, who were waiting for her to continue.