1x02 (Story A) - A break

From the corner of his eyes, Lan saw the Emond's Fielder, who were gathered around a small campfire. The young villagers were obviously not happy about their involuntary journey. And unlike Moiraine and himself, they weren't used to it being on the run from Trollocs. They had lived an easy and calm life in the Two Rivers. How long would it take until they couldn't keep up with them anymore? The Aes Sedai and himself couldn't leave them behind. No, Moiraine wouldn't leave them behind. They had been searching for the Dragon Reborn for twenty years. All those false dragons, and now it was possible that it was one of those kids. His Aes Sedai wouldn't risk it to lose them, which meant that he had to be very careful or she would do something foolish. She would rather die than give those children to the servants of the Dark One. And that was something, Lan couldn't let happen. He would keep her alive, even if it was the last thing he would do.

The warder kept moving between the trees looking out for any danger coming their way. The Trollocs were still after them, and he was sure that it would only be a matter of time until they were chasing them again.

Moiraine stood at the entrance of the cave and watched the young Emond's Fielder. They had been very quiet since Lan had made the campfire. Everyone was lost in their thoughts. Was this still because of the dead ferryman? They had turned silent since then and had kept their distance. She had seen the shock on Egwene's face and the anger on Rand's. None of them had approved of what she had done. 'No. In their eyes, I have proven that the Aes Sedai are monsters, who kill innocent people like this ferryman. Foolish children!'

Suddenly, pain spread from the wound on her shoulder. Moiraine leaned back against the stone wall, closed her eyes, and breathed through the pain until it returned to a dull throbbing. Quickly, she dove into her bond with Lan. Had he noticed? No, Lan was as calm as always. He was securing their camp by searching for threats.

Relieved, Moiraine released her breath. Her warder was watching her every move, since the attack of the Trollocs. Although she tried to ignore most of the pain by keeping her calm Aes Sedai face and focusing on the Emond's Fielder, Lan was no fool. He was able to read her like an open book.

When she felt a small glimpse of guilt, she opened her eyes in surprise. Guilt? What was bothering him? Again, she dove into their bond, but this time, she moved around his calm feelings and went deeper. Finally, she found the hidden feeling, which was pounding in him, and it was connected to the sense of failure and loyalty.

'Oh, Lan.', Moiraine sighed 'How many times do I have to tell you that it wasn't your fault? That you didn't fail me?'

Would she ever be able to get it into his stubborn head? This wasn't the first injury she had received on their journey and it probably wouldn't be the last one. They needed to concentrate on their task and not on what had happened in the past. 'We need to keep moving as soon as possible. I have to take care of the horses and the children. They need their strength to keep up with Lan and me.'

Slowly, Moiraine left the cave. She would start with helping the horses since they needed to carry them onward.

Lan finished his round when he suddenly felt Moiraine's joy from touching Saidar. Alarmed he took a look at his surroundings, but he couldn't see an enemy and he also didn't feel the servants of the Dark One. Why was she using the One Power? Quickly, he mended his pace to reach his Aes Sedai. What did he miss? Was one of the Emond's Fielder hurt?

The warder found his Aes Sedai with their four-legged companions. She was kneeling in front of a horse, which was lying on the ground, and immediately, he understood what she was doing. She gave the horses their strength back! When she raised, the horse got back on his feet as well. Strong and refreshed, while Moiraine needed a moment to regain her composure. Lan felt how she was getting weaker by the second.