2x01 (Story E - Rage) - The shadow of a woman

Everyonehelps taking care of the injured ones, but Lan keeps worrying about Moiraine.She is still not talking. Yet, she starts to reach out toward him carefully.

Carefully, the Warder watched his Aes Sedai while patching up an injured soldier. After a quick wash and a change of clothes, he had been able to bring Moiraine to the kitchen. She hadn't eaten much, but he was glad that at least an apple and two cups of tea had found their way into her stomach.

Now, they helped with the injuries in the infirmary. Moiraine had still not spoken a word, not even when Nynaeve had given her orders what she expected of the Aes Sedai. Wordlessly, she had taken whatever the young woman from the Two Rivers had given her and went to work. Nynaeve had been speechless and threw Lan a worried look. She didn't know how to react to that new version of Moiraine. Lan wished he could tell her but was as clueless as her.

The night fell over Fal Dara, and the Malkieri saw the exhaustion in everyone's faces. Many soldiers had died because their injuries had been too heavy and not even Nynaeve's best herbs had been able to bring them back from the dead. And every new death weighed heavily on everyone's mood. They all needed sleep.

"It's too tight."

Lan flinched when Nynaeve's voice pulled him out of his thoughts. He hadn't noticed how she stepped beside him. She took the bandage out of his hands, then unrolled his previous work. He hadn't paid attention to what he had been doing.

"It would be helpful if you keep your eyes on what you're doing instead of watching HER."

Nynaeve didn't need to explain who she meant. There was only one person she refused to call by her name – Moiraine.

"We should take a break. Everyone is tired and hungry." Lan knew the young woman tried to bait him but refused to went with it.

A heavy sigh escaped Nynaeve's lips before she secured the bandage and let her eyes wander over the room. There were so many injured people, and they were fighting against time. "A break sounds nice."

"We won't be of use to them if we collapse."

Finally, the Wisdom nodded. Then her eyes found the Cairhien woman. "How is she?"

Lan followed her gaze and sighed. "She does what you ask of her to do."

"Has she said anything?"

There was a moment of silence. A moment when Lan chewed on his frustration. "No," he finally said in a clipped voice.

"Give her some food and tea before she gets to bed. She needs her strength."

When Nynaeve tried to stand up, Lan grabbed her arm, holding her back gently. "You also need your strength."

For a moment, he thought she would free herself, storming off. But then Nynaeve turned her head back at him. Her eyes shone with hope. "I wouldn't mind some company tonight. The nights are... lonely."

The uncrowned king of Malkier opened his mouth to accept her offer – his heart jumped at the imagination of sharing a bed with her – but then the picture of Moiraine – curled up in a ball – appeared before his eyes, and his heart sunk. His Aes Sedai was hurt, and he thought about sharing the bed with another woman!

"I can't."

Nynaeve gave him a sad smile. "I assumed you would say that."

Again, she tried to leave, but Lan held her back – his eyes begging for understanding. "It's too dangerous to leave her side. Without the bond...." He couldn't continue. The pain about the loss of his bond with Moiraine made his throat tighten so it couldn't form words anymore.