2x01 (Story F - Really listen) Thoughts

Lan needs his Aes Sedai close to him, but his thoughts won't shut up.

Warning! A lot of emotional pain and past trauma. Please be careful while reading.

Carefully, the Malkieri carried her to the bed, then placed her there before he crawled over her, placing his naked body between her legs.

"Blood and ashes! Stop that! The bed will get all wet!"

"Hmm," Lan agreed, humming while his nose moved over her throat. "You can channel it dry later."

The Aes Sedai nudged his arm for his suggestion. "Who says that I want to do that?" She sighed heavily when her Warder continued his examination of her body but didn't answer her. "What are you doing?"

"I need to feel you," Lan murmured against her skin.

His hands grabbed the towel and parted it so there was nothing between them anymore. Then, they moved over the woman's warm skin without touching her in an inappropriate way.

Moiraine's hands moved over Lan's shoulders, feeling how tense his muscles were. "And sharing a bath wasn't enough for you to feel me?" She asked gently, letting him know through the bond that she didn't mind his examination.

"No."

Lan's lips moved over the healed wound on her chest, and he froze. Pictures of Moiraine – getting weaker and paler with every passing day – appeared before his eyes. How she had pushed herself to her limits until she couldn't move anymore. The bond had turned terribly silent, and more than once, Lan had feared he would lose his bondholder.

Other pictures flooded Lan's mind. A dark cave. Logain. Stepin's axes. Moiraine's pain. Their bond, fading quickly.

Panic rushed through Lan's veins, and his heart beat faster. The fear of losing Moiraine... he couldn't even bear the thought. Panting, he leaned his forehead against her chest and closed his eyes while his fingers moved over her stomach. Unlike the wound on her chest, there was no indication on her stomach that one of Stepin's axes had impaled her. Yet, Lan would never forget the image of her lying on the ground.

"Lan?"

Of course, the Cairhien woman felt his panic, though she didn't know what had caused it. She sent calm and soothing feelings through the bond while her hands moved over his tight shoulders and neck. "What's on your mind?"

The uncrowned king of Malkier couldn't speak. His fear had left a thick ball in his throat, making it impossible for him to speak.

"Lan."

Have you ever gotten close to draw too much?

I was tempted a few times.

When have you been tempted the last time?

A few days ago. I didn't have a choice. You were dying.

Another picture appeared before the Malkieri's eyes. A shard of a blade, cutting his throat. The feeling of his warm blood running over his throat. Although she had been injured badly, Moiraine had tried to reach him. His wonderful Aes Sedai had ignored her own pain just to save his life – and almost killed herself in the process.

Again, his fingers moved over her healed stomach. The wheel seemed to be cruel to him lately. How many times would it try to take Moiraine from him? How many times would he have to fear losing her?

"Enough."

Determined, the Cairhien woman grabbed the Malkieri's hand and pulled it away from her stomach. Lan growled when he lost contact but was finally able to lift his head, glaring at the woman beneath him who returned the look.