15. Past Stories And Parents

Pov Asher Wilson
________________

I didn't want to admit that I was nervous, but I was, very pretty much. While digging one of my hands a little deeper in the pocket of my jacket, I looked at my phone which showed I was almost at the right address. 

Maybe visiting Bea's parents was a stupid idea, I mean, what if they are mean and won't understand why I'm at almost 8 PM at their door just to talk about their daughter. And what if they knew that I always annoyed her and would kick my ass? If I lost my kid and a freak came at my door to ask about her, I wouldn't be happy either.

A sigh left my mouth and I walked into the right street, looking for house number 17. After passing a few houses, I found the one where I needed to be. My urge to just keep on walking and go back home was big, but in the end I would only be disappointed in myself if I did. 

After taking a deep breath I slowly entered the front yard, looking at the window. I could see light coming from the window so I assumed someone was still up. I knocked three times on the door before taking a step back to create some distance between me and the house, thinking about what I could possibly say if the door got opened. 

While I slightly started panicking about why I even tried to do this, the door was opened by the woman I had seen with Bea in the parking lot of the hospital. Her eyes stood tired and dull, her face pale. 

'Uh, hi.' I said, able to slap myself for being such an incredible scumbag. She leaned slightly against the door frame, tilting her head with a slightly curious look on her face.

'How can I help you?' Her looks, her eyes, her voice, everything reminded me of Bea and if she weren't a stranger I would have hugged the life out of her by now, but I held myself back. It would be weird if I hugged her right on the spot. 

'Alright, so uhm, you see I'm a classmate of Bea, Asher Wilson, and-'

'Asher? Hmm, Bea told me a little about you.' She interrupted me. I expected her to give me a filthy look, but instead, she gave me a warm smile, which surprised me. If Bea told her mother about me, how come she would smile at my deeds? 

'Ah? She did? What did she tell you, ma'am?' I asked, rubbing my upper arms a little since there was a cold breeze outside. 

'Nothing much, just your name and how she knew you, but she seemed to like you.' It felt like this woman just wrapped my heart in a warm, cozy blanket to help it heal, and I liked that feeling. A smile lit up my face and I moved my gaze back to the woman's eyes.

'Ah, I like her too, as friends obviously! But uh, is she still not back..?' My voice broke down a little by the last few words, not wanting to hurt the lovely woman's feelings by making her think back about her daughter's missing. 

She shook her head and a soft sigh left her lips, tugging a lock of her hair behind her ear. 

'No, she isn't yet, I'm sorry.' She muttered, wobbling a little on her legs while looking up at the dark sky for a moment. 

'I see... Well, you see, I'm actually here because I wanted to talk to Bea's parents, and I assume that you are her mother, because you look as beautiful as Bea.' I said, only realizing now what I actually said after which made me want to sink into the ground and never come back. I was cringing, and not even a little bit. But the woman didn't seem to care and chuckled softly.

'Don't flatter me, young man, but yes, I actually am her mother, it's good to hear I still look as good as my lovely daughter.'  She smiled genuinely, making me feel happy inside as well. 

'My name is Audrey, by the way, you want to come in? It's getting pretty cold outside.' She offered, already opening the door further to welcome me inside if I wanted.