chapter thirty seven - brixton

21st June 2023. Brixton Night 3. Finn was one show away from closing his first ever UK headline tour and one gig away from his first Glastonbury Festival show. The tour had been a huge success, and Finn had loved the chance to engage with audiences up and down the country. Getting to hear your songs sang back to you every night was an experience Finn wasn't quite ready for, but opening to a packed out AO Arena in Manchester, with all his family and friends set the tone for a bunch of things Finn wasn't quite ready for, or could scarcely believe.

He was also exhausted. The tour bus life sapped all the energy out of you, conserving every shred of it for the evening performance. Every show was worth it, but Finn would have been lying if a further month on the the road in the US wasn't a daunting prospect.

All that had to wait in his head, because tonight; tonight was going to be big. He struggled to think of a person in his life that wouldn't be in Brixton's O2 tonight. Not to mention the amount of press and brand people the record label had invited. He had to focus, to detach from all that, and just connect with the music. Just feel it.

***

19:24pm

Mason Mount: good luck babe, you're going to smash it
Hollie Smith: ahhh good luck finny, love you see you after!
Paddy O'Hara: you've got this bro, have a good one
Leah Williamson: good luck finnnnnny
Dec Rice: rammed in here, have a good one!

***

"Woo, how are we all doing tonight Brixton?" Finn called out to the audience, drowned in cheers. He was deep into the show already and it was electric, every song just felt big tonight and he was floating on air.

"So, if any of you has caught a previous show on this tour, you'll know at this point I have thrown a different cover in every night. Tonight, I have so many of my family and friends in that I wouldn't be here on this stage without. So this one is for you."

[🔊 Simply the Best - Tina Turner]

I call you when I need you, my heart's on fire
You come to me, come to me wild and wild
When you come to me
Give me everything I need

Give me a lifetime of promises and a world of dreams
Speak a language of love like you know what it means
Mmm, and it can't be wrong
Take my heart and make it strong, baby

You're simply the best
Better than all the rest
Better than anyone
Anyone I've ever met
I'm stuck on your heart
I hang on every word you say
Tear us apart
Baby, I would rather be dead

In your heart, I see the star of every night and every day
In your eyes, I get lost, I get washed away
Just as long as I'm here in your arms
I could be in no better place

As Finn melted the hearts of the crowd, Mason's heart melted too. Yes things hadn't been perfect, but he just had a spark maybe Finn hasn't forgotten about them, hadn't forgotten about him.

You're simply the best
Better than all the rest
Better than anyone
Anyone I've ever met
Ooh, I'm stuck on your heart
I hang on every word you say
Don't tear us apart, no, no, no
Baby, I would rather be dead

Each time you leave me, I start losing control
You're walking away with my heart and my soul
I can feel you even when I'm alone
Oh baby, don't let go