FIFTY - TWO

Warning R-18

We planned to have our wedding on Samar Island, the same place where we conducted a medical mission in the past. I am the one who decided on the location for our first wedding. Ako kasi pinapili niya at maganda ang ibang parte ng island lalo na at gusto ko ring mag beach wedding kami.

Hindi rin masyadong mabigat ang gown ko dahil request ni Zairon. Siya mismo lahat ang nagplano dahil ayaw niyang napapagod ako nakaisip sa kasal namin. Ang dapat ko lang raw gawin ay sumagot at magsalita ng vows namin at wala ng iba.

Nasa loob ako ng cabin kasama sila Zaen. They're the ones who took care of me. Maya-maya pa ay pumasok ang ina ni Zairon.

"You're so beautiful, anak." She smiled at me.

"Thank you po, Mom." Sagot ko.

I'm not used to calling him mom but I don't want to make her uncomfortable with me kaya sinikap ko talagang masanay.

I was taken aback when she approached and embraced me. "Take care of my son, Laurene," she whispered softly. She then stepped back, looking at me with a smile on her lips.

She sighed deeply. "We fell short in many ways with him, and no matter what I do, those lost moments cannot be reclaimed," she started.

Hindi ko alam kung saan patungo ang sasabihin niya pero nakinig pa rin ako. Kung ioobserba ko, laging bumibisita ang ina ni Zairon sa amin at hindi ko pa nakitaan na nagkausap sila ng sila lang dalawa. Kung meron man, iba naman pag uusapan nila. Minsan nga, kapag sa akin ang topic, agad sumasagot si Zairon.

"He was a sweet boy when he was three years old, just like your children are now. I see Calia in him, but I was unfair to all three of them, and I didn't realize that it could have broken him inside," a tear glistened in her eye, which she quickly wiped away. "After Zachary's death, we thought he was really gone, but he blames himself and is starting to distance himself from us. I don't want that, Laurene. I don't want my son to drift away because... it hurts me."

I reached out and held her hand, offering a comforting smile. She returned the smile and gently caressed my cheek. "But you will be able to bring him back to his old self, Laurene, a sweet boy who only seeks love from those around him, but..." her smile faded. "You should prepare yourself to be with him."

"Because my son doesn't let go of the things he already possesses, Laurene."

Why do I feel like she's warning me at the same time it's not? But I already prepared myself from the start because I already noticed this trait from Zairon. Naka konektado na ito sa personality niya at tanggap ko iyon dahil mahal ko siya.

Day by day, Zairon got jealous easily. Kapag nakikita niyang kinakausap ako ng mga kapatid niya, agad siyang dumidikit. Although he didn't say anything but his actions are but I don't mind about it, mas gusto ko pa ngang ganoon siya sa akin.

"But when it comes to you, he's controlling it because he realized something with you and you accepted him. Thank you for being with him. Thank you because you exist." she added.

I listened intently to Mrs. Contreras' feelings about Zairon. Through her words, she revealed a part of Zairon that I didn't fully understand before. I could sense her love and concern for her son and her desire for him to be happy and find peace.

She spoke about their family's challenges and Zairon's past, and I felt a deep empathy towards them. It was clear that she carried regrets and a longing for the moments they had lost and the pain Zairon had endured.

I held her hand, offering silent support and understanding. Her honesty and vulnerability touched me and I could see her strength and resilience despite the sadness in her eyes.