𝐢𝐢𝐢. wake up, childhood is over

CASSIE wondered when her childhood had stopped. Was there a particular event that put a halt in those childish dreams and carefree summer days?

There must've been, because looking back, she suddenly felt very old. She was sixteen, fifteen didn't sound serious but sixteen did.

She felt very old but she didn't have grey hair, her heart somehow felt heavier, she had grown. But she wished to know when her childhood stopped.

Percy was part of her childhood (most of it anyway), he was her childhood best friend, but there wasn't childhood anymore, so Cassie realised she had to leave Percy behind (or that's what she thought best). She didn't want to hurt anyone else, and Percy Jackson seemed fated to be hurt by her.

She thought of all this at war council. Everyone was there, including Silena who hated anything related to violence.

Talking of Silena, she was secretly dating Charles Beckendorf, Cassie was happy for them. But she suspected something was going on with the daughter of Aphrodite- she had been weird lately (even Drew had noticed).

Whatever it was it involved Silena only, if she wanted to tell Cassie she would.

Percy nudged her. "You okay?"

Cassie nodded absentmindedly, Percy frowned in response.

"I haven't seen Ethan around, where is he?"

Cassie's heart sunk even more. "He's gone." She tightened her lips at the bitter memory of the boy who she considered a friend.

"Gone?" Granted, Percy had never liked Ethan, but seeing Cassie's face made him want to drag him back to camp.

"He's joined Luke, Percy." Scorn was evident on her face. "He left us."

What she really meant was me, he left Cassie, and not in the best circumstances, but Cassie didn't want to think of the last time they talked. She didn't want to tell Percy, since part of the argument was because of him.

Percy suddenly looked solemn, but a small smile gave him away. "I'll duel him- medieval times type of duel." He pulled out his pen. "I'll do like wish wash and beat him."

Cassie laughed, she just couldn't help it. Percy had always made her laugh. "I trust you will."

~  🫀 *  🏹  ~

AN hour after Annabeth had accomplished her life long dream of leading a quest, by sunrise Cassie, Grover, Percy and Tyson would be leaving with her.

The original four, the four successful questers that retrieved the lighting bolt. Now they were leaving again but this time different people than they were at the start.

Even the prophecy seemed shady, but Cassie didn't think much of it, it's not like her mother could die again.

There was something about shattering in the prophecy, that reminded Cassie of her own sword. That would take revenge on her if it split innocent's blood. (Yeah she wasn't very worried).

She packed her bag in the dark, careful not to wake her cabin mates, specially the younger ones.

"Cass?"

She flipped around.

Connor looked at her from his top bunk, his face still sleepy. "You're leaving now?"