𝐱𝐢𝐯. mwahaha, cue evil laugh

THE giant pushed past them and opened the doors

THE giant pushed past them and opened the doors. Grabbing Cassie and Annabeth by the collar of the shirts.

"Hey!" Cassie protested, but the guy was twice her size and he'd already confiscated Annabeth's knife and their swords.

Kelli laughed. She still had her claws at Rachel's neck. "Go on, Percy. Entertain us. We'll wait here with your friends to make sure you behave."

Percy stared at Rachel. "I'm sorry. I'll get you out of this."

She nodded as much as she could with a demon at her throat. "That would be nice."

Percy's eyes met Cassie's, his eyes were a reflection of hers; confusion, fear, and something else entirely neither knew exactly what it was.

So she mouthed, good luck, not knowing what else to say.

Good luck, he mouthed back.

The iracaenae prodded Percy towards the doorway at javelin-point, and he walked out onto the floor of an arena.

From where the girls where they could see everything happening in the arena, including a fight was going on between a giant and a centaur.

The centaur didn't look like Chiron, and yet it reminded Cassie of the camp's activities director.

The centaur looked panicked. He was galloping around his enemy, using sword and shield, while the giant swung a javelin the size of a telephone pole and the crowd cheered.

The first tier of seats was four metres above the arena floor.

Plain stone benches wrapped all the way around, and every seat was full.

There were all sort of creatures, mythological or not, all screaming they wanted blood.

But the creepiest things were the skulls. The arena was full of them. They grinned from pikes at the back of the stands and hung on chains from the ceiling like horrible chandeliers.

In the middle of all this, proudly displayed on the side of the spectators' wall, was a green banner with the trident of Poseidon in the centre.

Above the banner, sitting in a seat of honour, was an old enemy, Luke.

Cassie had tried not to think much of him since their last encounter, but seeing him there made things much more real.

Next to him sat the largest giant Cassie had ever seen, much larger than the one on the floor fighting the centaur.

There was a cry from the arena floor, the centaur struggled to get up as the giant approached, his javelin ready.

The crowd cheered, "DEATH! DEATH!"

Luke didn't do anything, but the tattooed sumo dude sitting next to him rose.

Then the sumo dude held out his hand and gave the thumbs down sign.