01| the man above

The sound of both loud and soft cries surrounded the room around me

The sound of both loud and soft cries surrounded the room around me. They weren't of any sad or anguish-filled cries but they were cries of joy and gratitude for the man above. I knew the feeling all too well, crying for His presence and greatness, and then finally surrendering.

It was absolutely beautiful getting to experience this around you every Sunday. It made anyone with doubts about Him burn away and awaken the feelings of greatly filled faith and enormous happiness knowing that the creator of our universe is making us feel this way. It made even someone like me, who's grown up going to church every Sunday and who would you expect to have an enormous faith to grow an ever bigger faith than before I stepped into the church.

Most people assume that only because you are a person who attends church every Sunday, reads their bible every single day, and centers Christ in their everyday life that you would be perfect with no amount of struggles in their daily lives but they couldn't be more wrong. I still have days where my spark for Jesus isn't as big or even when my faith isn't as strong. And it makes my heart fall in sadness but it's the ultimate blank truth.

We weren't born to be perfect and that's something we've got to realize.

I've seen much of that through people I know and my own little flaws but I've seen it mostly from my parents who I've seen both love and dislike each other before. It's really far away memories of when I remember them arguing and mom crying herself to sleep but it's enough to not leave my mind. The thing I do remember quite clearly is when we began going to church when I was six. I still remember when they both gave their life to Jesus and began to go to counseling that the church offered. The only reason I remember that little detail was because of the much fun I remember having with the child care at the church and how we got to sing and worship while my parents were off to counseling. Since then they've given the glory to God always. And I finally quit hearing arguments and mom crying herself to sleep.

In no way would I say their relationship is so very perfect now but I would definitely say it's way healthier than it was many years ago before they surrendered their lives.

"You ok?" I heard my mom's concerned voice from beside me. I was confused for a moment before I felt there was a tear running down my cheek.

"Oh, yeah. I'm fine. I'm just feeling..." I paused thinking what exactly to say.

Almost as if she knew what I was trying to say she paused to look at me tenderly and nodded, grabbing my hand tightly in hers as the loud worship music came to a slow stop.

It was the end of the service when Braylee and I stepped out of the church and stood in the quad waiting for my parents who were speaking to some friends.

"What are you doing later on?" Braylee was my very best friend since elementary school so we kind of grew up going to our local church together. My parents spoke to her parents occasionally when they were able to attend church but I'd say they've been very close people to us by now.