13| like or love

"How do you know you like or love someone?" I blurted out as I fidgeted with my fingers on top of the kitchen table

Immediately the knife hitting the cupboard silenced. My mom still had her back turned and slowly she lifted her head and looked over her shoulder towards me. Her expression was hard to interpret so I settled with the idea she wasn't angry or weirded out by my question. I was taking advantage now that dad was upstairs taking a shower. I couldn't have this conversation with him here. No way. 

It's been in my mind to at least mention it to my mom about Holden so here I was, waiting for her to answer. 

"Why are you asking?" she finally asked, placing the knife down and wiping her hands on the kitchen towel. Now she sounded and looked as if many thoughts were running through her mind. And now I definitely couldn't decipher what was going through her head. The only visible emotion on her face was doubt as she walked toward me and sat across from me. For what reason was she doubting? I didn't know. 

"Just asking." I tried to remain as neutral as possible. For now at least.

She remained silent for a while longer, looking down at her folded hands . "It's about that boy, isn't it? Holden, is it?" she said, looking at me expectantly. 

I didn't find the point of lying now. This was the first reason I was even bringing it up because I intended to admit my feelings and how I felt toward him and how I feel he feels toward me. "Yeah, it's about him. I feel that I like him, mom." I clenched my fists together, nervous to hear her reply. 

She remained stoic in her spot and then she sighed. "You like like him?"

"Yes, I like like him." I stated pointedly, hoping she didn't take my words for granted. She was asking questions but she wasn't giving me an initial response of how she felt about this situation or about Holden for that matter and that made me all the more nervous than I already was. It was too bad she wasn't direct of how she felt. She always did beat around the bush before she came to a conclusion. 

"Are you sure this isn't some high school crush? You know this is a stage we all go through especially when your in high school..." she went to add, hoping to find a gaping hole in my feelings. She probably hoped my feelings were just tiny but they were anything but tiny. These were actual feelings that terrified me more than she probably was afraid of. 

"He kissed me," I admitted. It had to come out somehow. She wouldn't stay in the dark forever about it. She was my mom and I felt all the bad keeping my feelings a secret from her. Now when it came to dad, I did feel a tide bit bad about keeping it from him but not all that bad because I thought it was more usual for a dad to not know such things about their daughter. Now that I had admitted it to my mom I felt like a huge weight came off my shoulders.

"Heather," My mom said my name in a low whisper, leaning back in her seat slowly, and placing a hand above her mouth. Finally the first visible emotion appeared on her face. And it was one I didn't expect. She looked strangely shocked and thrown aback but more bewildered. "How did this happen? When?" she lowered her hand from her mouth and peaked over behind me to make sure dad wasn't coming down.