05| give or take

From the moment, we left the house Holden didn't once leave my mind

From the moment, we left the house Holden didn't once leave my mind. What was intended to be a nice gesture turned into an embarrassing exchange of words and at last what looked like an all too intense tension lingered between the both of us as we'd locked eyes. He was such a character, I noticed. Not only did he enjoy to tease me, he also liked to intimidate me too which he probably wasn't even aware about. Only I was too well aware of that. Or maybe he knew that too considering the rambling I did.

"Did you see the way he watched you as you walked off?" Braylee said, looking way too puzzled to speak.

"What? No." I replied, which was only half-true. Obviously I wasn't aware of it since my back was turned but I did feel the great weight of eyes watching me which could've only possibly been him. I was only too busy making sure I didn't fall and make an embarrassment of myself once again when I did feel his eyes scrutinizing me.

"He literally watched until you hopped onto the car. Like it wasn't even a creepy watching, it was more like a careful, admiring watching. Do you get what I mean?" she questioned, earnestly emphasizing her words.

"I'm convinced you're seeing things, Bree." I laughed, glancing out the window where we had just pulled up to the school.

She threw up her hands in protest. "Seriously, Heather? You don't see it? I am quite literally convinced you've hypnotized the man." Her brows pinched together, leaving a visible crease on her forehead. She was very carefully analyzing Holden for everything and it made me nervous because as much as comments of him toward me made butterflies swim in my stomach I've never actually dealt with a boy before, especially one that could potentially like me. I was calm with the fact I might've liked him, but him towards me seemed a little too real now.

"Let's just leave it as it is. We might be reading too much into it." I said, finding an end to this conversation.

"Fine!" Braylee said, reluctantly leaving the car to grab her bag.

"On the other hand I really do hope he ends up going to youth group tomorrow. It would do him good I just know it." I changed the subject as I swiftly flung my backpack over my shoulder.

"We'll see eventually, If he ends up showing up." she said, her attention going over my shoulder where Emily and Liam were walking side by side to catch up to us.

"Hey, girlies!" Emily jumped up behind Braylee's back, almost knocking her off balance.

"Ouch! A warning next time?" Braylee rolled her eyes, as Emily jumped off her back and I laughed as Liam gave Braylee a little pat on the head, noticing that she was a little too bothered from her actions. Now that I was noticing, she did seemed a little off yesterday. She wasn't being her usual self, laughing and smiling. When she did smile it seemed a little too fake. The last time she seemed down was when her grandfather was diagnosed with a bone illness.

I made a mental note to ask her about it later.

"Oh come on, Braylee. I was joking!"

"Whatevs." She replied back to her as she looked at me cheekily, aiming for her back as she noticed that her back was turned towards us. She laughed as now Emily was the one struggling to hold her from her thighs. The students around us starred at them, noticing the commotion before they went back to their conversations clearly not caring about Emily's evident struggle.