27| i must be dreaming

I wanted to laugh so bad at Braylee's deranged expression as her eyes tried not to look over at Owen—the guy that she had met at the bonfire two days ago

I wanted to laugh so bad at Braylee's deranged expression as her eyes tried not to look over at Owen—the guy that she had met at the bonfire two days ago. She was dying of the nerves when she'd caught sight of him when we entered the service for some odd reason. I didn't see why when they already acted like a couple down at the beach. This is what she was asking for when she was pleading and praying to God to give her future husband already. God, as it seemed, said 'say less'.

"Is he looking over here?" she whispered to me.

"No."

"You sure?"

"Yes, Braylee. Shhh, service has begun," I scolded her and reluctantly she sighed, finally paying attention to Pastor Grayson. His sermon today was so different from the others he had done and I loved it. It was a very raw heart-felt word to those dealing with grief and pain. My mind immediately went to Holden as he spoke to those who had lost a loved one. I wished he was here to listen to this message. I had faith that the time would come when he would step into church.

Any time soon.

He was already taking the beginning steps.

The service ended an hour later and we stood up, following in tow behind my parents. "There is Emily and Liam." Braylee pointed out and watching as my parents were held up by their church friends at the front, we turned the opposite way toward Emily and Liam instead.

We were making our way toward them when from the corner of my eye I noticed a familiar figure approaching. Turning to see who was the culprit, I gasped, startling Braylee in the process who paused beside me. "What? Is Owen coming?" she started fixing up her hair and then noticing my silence, she looked over to see what I was staring at. "Oh my..."

My hand came up to my mouth when he started walking
in our direction. There was no saying my eyes were playing tricks on me when I took a closer look at him. "Holden..." I whispered in disbelief and I started making my way toward him.

"Oakley, what a surprise," he joked, taking my face in his hands when we finally were in front of each other.

He looked sooo good.

"Your here," I whispered, still fully trying to grasp the fact that he was indeed here. In front of me. In church.

"I'm here." He leaned his forehead against mine and he breathed out a low laugh when he saw I was still full-on flabbergasted from his presence. The thing was, I was shocked, but at the same time I wasn't at all too surprised. I didn't know really.

All I knew was that God was so good because he was here. And... he had his bible in hand! I just noticed.

"You have your bible too?" I laughed in excitement, stepping back from his embrace, taking in the full sight of him. "I'm going to be honest you look handsome stepping in here— carrying a bible and...wearing a flannel." I grabbed onto the openings of his flannel and patted him in the chest.