02| don't judge a book by it's cover

People rushed down and back the halls when Braylee, Emily, and I made our way into the other hall where most of our classes were

People rushed down and back the halls when Braylee, Emily, and I made our way into the other hall where most of our classes were. This was precisely the only reason I got to school earlier than anyone most of the mornings so I wouldn't have to be pushed around by all the kids pushing over my shoulder or how crowded it typically got late mornings.

The only reason we were here in this position was because of Braylee. She insisted we got ourselves something to eat before we got to school which I politely declined too but this time she decided not to listen to me.

"Ok, see you guys later," Emily said, waving us goodbye as she descended into her classroom, followed by Liam, her boyfriend who swiftly gave us a peace sign as a greeting. By that little gesture, anyone could guess he was the jokester of the group.

"See you at lunch?" I asked Braylee as she sucked the air out of her already empty iced coffee cup.

Laughing, she said her goodbyes and I stepped into the classroom, taking my usual seat at the right middle corner of the class. Mr. Carver was in the middle of explaining our daily assignment regarding one of the books we've just read by Austen when the door to our class burst open and everyone's eyes shifted to who was the culprit. You could've thought they've seen a ghost by the look on everyones faces. When I turned to look who it was that's got their attention I was flabbergasted to say the least...Ok, maybe now I look like the one that has seen a ghost cause there standing, was Holden. The boy across the street.

Holden, looking annoyed removed his eyes from the class and went to Mr. Carver who took his paper and pointed right over to me. I was confused until I noticed that there was indeed an empty seat right next to me.

"Everyone, this is Holden Parker. Please let him feel welcome." Without a word or glance to the class, Holden made his way over in my direction and glanced at me a second too long before scooting the chair out and sitting down. Something about his aura and presence made the atmosphere a little too tense and I could tell many felt that way too, by the looks they gave his dark clothing and the relaxed features that clearly said he didn't care about anything. Never have I ever paid any close attention from the times I've seen him outside his house but now that I was he looked a little too intimidating. One thing I was taught was to never judge anyone for their looks or for the way they looked to be. I'm sure everyone's heard of the phrase 'don't judge a book by its cover'. And I think the phrase fits perfectly right now.

I thought of introducing myself but thought twice about it. What if he didn't want to talk to anyone or what if he was shy? Maybe I shouldn't. Even if he didn't display not even an ounce of shyness I still wouldn't want to make him uncomfortable. But then it would seem utterly rude if I didn't introduce myself especially since he was told to sit right beside me. And this was my opportunity to actually speak to him from all the times I've chickened out.

Ok, now I'm overthinking.

In my head, I spoke a little prayer and asked God for a little guidance and words to say. After a couple of minutes, finally I found the strength and wits to introduce myself.