Chapter Nine.

"Mom, can I go to three concerts?" You asked. "My friend, Jean, got tickets."

"Okay, sure. Can I listen to a song by them?" She glanced at you before she resumed cooking.

"Sure, yeah." You played Can We Dance by The Vamps, What makes you beautiful by One Direction and Amnesia by 5 Seconds Of Summer.

Your mom smiled. "They seem like good bands. You can go. But please help me cut the carrots."

You nodded and grabbed a knife before you cut up the carrot that was on the chopping board. "What are you making?"

"Carrot soup." She answered.

Once the soup was finished, you poured it into two bowls. "Is Dad coming home?"

"Not tonight." She answered.

You put the third empty bowl away. "Okay."

"I'm sorry, honey. You know he's just too busy." Her voice was laced with sympathy.

"I know, I know. I just wish he'd be home already! Why does he have to be so busy?"

"I don't know. . Because he's trying to get a lot of money." She took a spoonful of her soup.

"Are you two going to stay married?" You took a bite of your soup.

"Yes, of course, (n/n). Why wouldn't we?"

"Well. . Mom. You two haven't really talked in a while. If it's hurting me, shouldn't it be hurting you?" After a minute, you sighed. "I'm sorry."

Your Mom stayed silent and ate a spoonful of her soup. "It's okay. It does hurt, (f/n). It might hurt more to me, but how would I know? All I know is that I miss him. If I miss him, I know I love him. So, to answer your question, we're staying married."

"Good. I want you to stay together. I'm really sorry. . It's just hard." You ate your soup.

"I know. Invite Jean over."

"What? Mom, we're eating."

"I know. I'll grab a third bowl."

"Mom. ."

"(f/n). Call or text him."

You took out your phone and called Jean.

He answered, "Hello?"

"Hi. Er, do you want to come over for dinner? We have carrot soup." You offered.

"Sure, I'm on my way." He replied. "See you soon."

"Bye." He hung up.

You smiled.

"You should see your face." Your mom grinned.

"What do you mean?" Your cheeks turned pink.

"I mean you just smiled after you spoke to him."

"I-I was just relieved!" You argued.

"No, (f/n). You smiled the way I smiled around your father when I was your age. The smile of--"

You interrupted her. "Don't say 'love.'"

"--love." Your Mom finished.

You facepalmed. "Mom, no. I don't love him."

"Have you two kissed?"

You blushed. "Mom!"

"Have you?" She chuckled.

"I-I don't know! Maybe."

"Aww, your first kiss. You should have (friend's name) over tomorrow. How is she?" Your mom smiled.

"We're. . Not friends anymore. She'd rather be with a boy. She wants to be friends again, but I've given people too many chances." You explained.

"But, you two have known each other for about five years! Since seventh grade!" Your mom took another spoonful of soup.

"I know--" You heard the doorbell ring. "I should go answer that.

You got out of your seat and answered the door. You saw Jean. You hugged him. He returned the hug and you let him enter the house. You went to the kitchen and poured him a bowl of carrot soup.

"Hello! You must be Jean!" Your Mom beamed and hugged him.

You mentally facepalmed. Jean seemed startled, but he lightly returned the hug.

He sat down at the table while you set down the bowl and spoon. He tried it and said, "This is really good!"

You laughed. "I'm glad you like it!"

"(f/n), what are those anime couples called?" Your Mom asked.

"Ships?"

"Right. I ship it."

She. Did. NOT. Just. Say. That!

"Mom. ." You facedesked the table.

"What?"