Shadows of the Past

Five Hargreeves x Fem!reader

Warnings: none

Five Hargreeves was no stranger to nightmares

Five Hargreeves was no stranger to nightmares. The years of apocalyptic desolation and time jumps had left indelible marks on his psyche. But tonight, as the shadows of his past clawed at his mind, the terror felt different—more intense, more suffocating.

In the dead of night, Five's body tensed and jerked, his breaths coming in short, ragged gasps. He was trapped in a nightmare, reliving the horrors of the apocalypse, the loneliness, and the endless struggle to survive. He was running, always running, but he could never escape.

Y/N, his wife, slept peacefully beside him until she felt the bed shaking from his restless movements. She woke up instantly, her heart clenching at the sight of Five thrashing in his sleep. She had seen this before, knew the torment he endured, and she knew what she needed to do.

"Five, wake up," she said softly, placing a gentle hand on his shoulder. When he didn't respond, she shook him a bit harder. "Five, it's just a dream. Wake up."

Five's eyes snapped open, wild and unfocused. For a moment, he looked right through her, still caught in the grip of his nightmare. Y/N cupped his face with her hands, her touch firm yet comforting.

"It's okay, Five. You're safe. I'm here," she murmured, her voice soothing and steady.

He blinked, the terror slowly receding as he focused on her face. "Y/N?"

"Yes, it's me," she said, brushing his hair back from his forehead. "You were having a nightmare."

Five took a deep breath, trying to steady his racing heart. "It was the apocalypse again. I was alone... I couldn't find you."

Y/N pulled him into a tight embrace, holding him as if to anchor him to the present. "You're not alone anymore, Five. I'm right here, and I'm not going anywhere."

He buried his face in her shoulder, the remnants of the nightmare still clinging to him. "It felt so real."

"I know," she whispered, rubbing soothing circles on his back. "But it's over now. We're safe."

They sat like that for a while, wrapped in each other's arms, the silence of the room broken only by their steadying breaths. Y/N knew how much Five struggled with his past, how the weight of his experiences bore down on him, even in sleep.

After a while, Five pulled back slightly, looking into her eyes. "I'm sorry I woke you."

"Don't be," she said, her voice firm. "I'm always here for you, Five. No matter what."

He gave her a small, grateful smile. "What did I do to deserve you?"

"You traveled through time and survived an apocalypse," she teased gently. "I think that earns you a bit of happiness."

He chuckled softly, the tension easing from his body. "You're my happiness, Y/N."

"And you're mine," she replied, leaning in to kiss his forehead.

They lay back down, Y/N curling up next to him, her presence a comforting shield against the darkness. Five wrapped his arms around her, holding her close as if to ensure she wouldn't disappear.

"Tell me something good," he said quietly, needing to hear her voice to keep the nightmares at bay.

Y/N thought for a moment, then smiled. "Remember the day we went to that little café, the one with the amazing chocolate cake?"

Five nodded, a faint smile tugging at his lips. "How could I forget? You got chocolate all over your face."

"And you laughed for the first time in weeks," Y/N added. "It was a perfect day."

"It was," Five agreed, his grip on her tightening slightly. "Thank you for being here, for being you."

"Always," she whispered. "Now try to get some rest. I'm right here, and I'm not going anywhere."

Five closed his eyes, feeling the warmth of her body against his, the steady rhythm of her breathing. The shadows of his nightmares receded, replaced by the comfort and love that Y/N brought into his life.

As he drifted back to sleep, he knew that no matter what his past held, as long as he had Y/N by his side, he could face anything.