A Lifetime and even longer

Five Hargreeves x reader

A/N: I had the idea for this story because I thought of my grandparents. My grandparents knew each other as children and then became a couple when they were teenagers. When my grandma died, my grandpa died a week later. And somehow I thought it would be the same with Five and his wife.

Warnings: Angst, Death

In the golden hues of a fading afternoon, the garden was bathed in warm sunlight

In the golden hues of a fading afternoon, the garden was bathed in warm sunlight. The gentle breeze carried the scent of blooming flowers and the soft rustle of leaves, whispering through the old trees that had witnessed years of life, laughter, and memories. It was a peaceful, almost timeless setting—an oasis where Five and Y/n sat together, side by side, their hands entwined as they rested on a large lounger beneath the shade of a towering oak tree.

Five's once sharp, piercing green eyes had softened with age, his silver hair still cropped close, but with deep lines now etched into his face—a testament to the battles fought, the worlds saved, and the years that had passed. Y/n, beside him, looked as graceful and gentle as ever, her own hair now streaked with silver, her smile still as warm as the first day they met. Her hand rested lightly on Five's chest, feeling the steady rise and fall as they both took in the tranquil scene before them.

Their world had grown quieter in recent years. All of Five's siblings were gone now—save for Klaus, who could never truly leave this world. Klaus stood a little ways off, watching them, his eyes a mixture of sadness and acceptance. He had made peace with his eternal life, even if it meant being the last of his family left to witness their passing. He could always see them, his brothers and sister, as ghosts lingering in the edges of his vision, but today, it was Five and Y/n who held his attention.

"Klaus is here," Y/n said softly, her voice like the wind, barely a whisper. "He's watching over us."

Five nodded, his grip on her hand tightening ever so slightly. "He always was the one to stay behind, wasn't he?"

Y/n smiled gently. "Always the one with the most heart. He never lets us go."

They sat there in comfortable silence for a long moment, the weight of their shared life resting between them. Their children had long since grown up and moved away to start families of their own. Maddie and Milo, the lights of their lives, had visited not too long ago, saying their goodbyes, knowing that this chapter was coming to a close. But right now, it was just the two of them—the way it had always been, ever since that day Five first realized he loved her.

"I've had a good life," Five murmured, his voice soft but steady. "No regrets. Not with you by my side."

Y/n leaned her head on his shoulder, her voice filled with quiet emotion. "I've never been so happy, Five. I didn't think, after everything, that I'd get this. But you—" she squeezed his hand gently—"you gave me the life I never even knew I wanted."

Five turned his head slightly, pressing a kiss to the top of her head. His voice broke just a little when he spoke. "I never deserved you, but I'm glad you found me anyway."

Y/n smiled, tears welling up in her eyes. "You deserved everything, Five. You've saved the world countless times. You saved me."

They sat there in the garden, wrapped in love and the kind of peace that only comes from a lifetime spent together. The sky above them began to shift from golden to soft pinks and purples, the sun dipping lower on the horizon. Klaus, watching them from afar, shifted uneasily. He could feel it—the weight of what was coming. His heart ached, knowing that this was their last sunset together, and he wished, just for a moment, that he didn't have to witness it. But then again, he knew it was his place to be here. To bear witness. To say goodbye.

Y/n turned to look at Five, her eyes filled with love that seemed to stretch back through the years. "Do you remember the first time we met?" she asked softly.

Five chuckled, his voice rasping with age. "How could I forget? You were a disaster."

Y/n laughed, shaking her head. "And you were so grumpy. I didn't think you'd ever like me."

"I didn't," Five replied, though the corners of his lips twitched into a small smile. "But then you grew on me. I had no choice."

"You had every choice," Y/n whispered, her voice trembling with affection. "And I'm so glad you chose me."

Five turned his head to look at her, his heart swelling with emotion he hadn't allowed himself to feel in so long. "I'd choose you a thousand times over, in every timeline."

They fell silent again, their breaths steady and synchronized, their hands still clasped tightly. The warmth of the day began to fade, but neither of them felt it. There was only the steady beat of their hearts, the memories of their life together, and the knowledge that they had loved fiercely, truly.

As the sun dipped below the horizon, Y/n's breathing began to slow. Five, his own heart faltering, squeezed her hand one last time. "I love you," he whispered, his voice barely audible.

"I love you too," Y/n replied, her voice soft as a lullaby.

And then, together, they closed their eyes, their breaths growing shallow. Five's arms wrapped protectively around his wife as the world grew still.

Klaus, standing at a respectful distance, felt the shift before he saw it. He sighed deeply, wiping at his eyes as he approached the lounger. His heart clenched in sorrow as he saw them lying there, side by side, holding each other in death just as they had in life.

With a sad smile, Klaus knelt beside them, murmuring softly. "Rest easy, brother. You earned this."

As he stood, the air around him shimmered slightly, and suddenly, he wasn't alone. He turned and saw them—his family. His brothers and sisters, all of them standing there, their ghostly forms bathed in soft light. Luther, Allison, Diego, Viktor, Ben... all of them were there, watching over Five and Y/n. And standing beside them now, were Five and Y/n too, their forms glowing gently in the dim light.

Klaus smiled, tears in his eyes, as he saw the look of peace on their faces. His family, whole again, even in death. "Well," he said with a sniff, "I guess we're all together now."

Five and Y/n, their hands still clasped even as spirits, looked at Klaus with quiet smiles. And though Klaus knew the pain of eternal life would never leave him, in that moment, surrounded by the ones he loved, he didn't feel so alone anymore.