𝐱𝐱𝐢. 𝐰𝐨𝐦𝐚𝐧 𝐬𝐧𝐚𝐭𝐜𝐡𝐞𝐫

✧ 3rd December 1995 ✧London, England

London, England

SHE NEVER really discovered how she was meant to react whenever she sees a child with a profoundly healthy relationship with their family.

It wasn't to say that Maia Harket saw her family as something lesser, because that would have been a lie. She didn't get along with her half-siblings, all except for Morten. And as for her parents, as much as she grew up with them being distant from her, with her father being a workaholic, and a mother who had far too much burden on her shoulders——she wouldn't go as far to say that she loathed them. She loved them very dearly, even when they always made her feel invaluable. In spite of how her relationships with them ultimately pushed her to form the same relationships with most around her.

But as she grew older and older, Maia realised that it wasn't black and white like she always thought it to be. It was simply how life worked. Not everybody was psychologically healthy. Maia's mother, Joan, suffered tremendously from the disapproval of her own step kids, and as a result, she could hardly take care of herself, let alone a small child like Maia. And her father, Arne, worked night and day to put food on the table.

For that, she was forever grateful of her parents for always trying their hardest, even if it wasn't enough to compensate for her lonely and neglected childhood.

She could never hold it against them though, especially not after her father passed away.

"What's all these stuff for?"

Joan turned to face her daughter, dropping her gaze down to the grocery cart that was filled with condiments and the necessary things needed to prepare for dinner that night. They were having it at Morten and Camilla's. The Harket boy insisted that Joan came to visit them, that she shouldn't be alone at that time of the year, since the rest of his siblings wouldn't be bothered to pay her a visit and see how she was doing. Besides, they were all facing the same lamentation. He thought that it would be nice to have her and Maia around.

"For the Tilslørte Bondepiker." Joan responded, stopping herself from pushing the baby stroller, reaching out at one of the shelf and dropping another item into the cart Maia had been pushing.

They decided that it would be best to take Marie out with them for grocery shopping, hoping to give both Camilla and Morten some well needed rest. That, and Joan was eager to spend more time with her granddaughter.

Maia perked up at the mention of the dessert. It was a classic, something that often brought her fond memories of her hometown back in Norway, even if there wasn't much to look forward to there. It was why she never bothered to return so much. But the dessert——an apple layered dessert, that alone is enough to throw her into a nostalgic disarray. "Are we having that for dessert?" She asked breathlessly, grinning widely. "I can't remember the last time I had it."

"I know." Joan smiled back. "And I don't think I ever made it for you, did I? But your grandma used to."

The front woman almost salivated at the memories of all the times she had eaten the nostalgic dessert. Maia pushed past the statement regarding Joan's lack of effort to ever make the dessert for her. The older woman never bothered to prepare anything for Maia, she had to throw something up for herself, even at such a young age. But Maia didn't blame her mother. "Oh, she made the best ones! She used to force feed me them even when I was so bloody full already."