19

-"This was it, this was it, this is when the krauts eliminate us all

-"This was it, this was it, this is when the krauts eliminate us all. The Bois-Jaques will be the mass grave of Easy Company."

_________________________________________

BIANCA'S POV

We were able to break through the German lines on December 26th. We were all glad it was finally done. It had been long overdue. But after holding the line in Bastogne, Easy was again called on to help push the Krauts back through the Bulge. We were all exhausted, fucking freezing and ready for this whole winter to be over.

"We were here this morning, then we came this way." Lipton said, pointing it out on the map and I nodded.

"Right, so right here's gotta be the logging road coming into here, which means we get right there." Compton said. It was a bigger responsibility to be platoon leader than I ever could thought it could be. So much more strategic and tactical planning, constantly talking to our officers and higher ranked NCO's. I got the choice to choose who I wanted as platoon sergeant after Welsh was wounded and I took over the platoon with my battlefield commission. It was an honourable decision and I had to think carefully of who I wanted as platoon sergeant, I needed someone I trusted and had proven themselves to be a good and loyal soldier, not only to me but to everyone in our platoon. It was their responsibility to be my second pair of eyes and ears, someone who could keep the men united and in line when I was off fulfilling other duties and responsibilities that came with the job as platoon leader. And I had a lot of good soldiers in my platoon to choose from. In my opinion, anyone would've done a good job but I ended up choosing Martin to be the platoon sergeant. A choice Winters said he agreed with. Martin was a man everyone knew and everyone respected, and someone I knew would bring calmness and comfort to the men.

"Alright, let's move 'em out." Compton said and packed up the map.

"1st platoon, let's go!" I said loudly.

"2nd platoon, on your feet!" Compton said and we started moving out. Everyone was glad to be out of their foxholes and moving again, even if only to get warm. We were sent out to clear the Bois Jacques, the woods near the town of Foy in preparation for what we knew would be the attack on Foy itself. We were getting closer and closer to Foy, taking a piece of ground one step at a time. We'd encountered some German machine gun fire, had a few casualties but for the most part, we met little resistance. I looked up to the sky as we walked through the foggy and snowy forest. The tree tops disappeared in the thick fog. The lads were still exhausted, cold and underfed from our time in Bastogne. We were all feeling the toll the war was taking on us. We had to work harder to stay focused and present which put my job as platoon leader on the edge of its game. I had to make sure my men wasn't slacking off.

"Alright, 1st platoon. Dig in!" I said as we had arrived at our destination. Once again, we had to crawl down into a cold foxholes and watch over the front lines. Neither of us were pretty thrilled, but no one complained. Not a single soldier. We did what we had to do and that was it.