26

-"Because I can't do this on my own, I can't

-"Because I can't do this on my own, I can't. I don't want to."
_________________________________________

BIANCA'S POV

It had been more than a year since we had gone to war and almost three years since we entered Toccoa. Not knowing what would happen to us, where we'd end up, how long we we'd be fighting, who we meet, who would survive, who would come home, who would we become. I certainly didn't expect myself to end up where I have, with him next to me, people that I can call my brothers, my family. I had all I needed right here. I had them.

We had entered Bavaria in early May, hoping to capture Berchtesgaden, a famous town high up in the Alps that was the Nazi Party's symbolic home. Although Hitler had shot himself in Berlin, he had prior to that ordered SS to make it their last stand from which to mount a guerrilla resistance against the Allied advance. Their first step was to block the roads.

"Come on, come on." I said chuckling excitedly as Babe and I placed a couple of grenades by the big roadblock that consisted of big fucking rocks. We ran back to where McGrath was standing with the bazooka, ready to launch. We duck down behind him and he launched the rocket into the mountain and we all laughed as the loud booming explosion echoed through the sky.

We got the clear to move up to Berchtesgaden, some of us were walking, some of us were riding on the trucks. But it didn't matter, the view as we walked up to the town was unbelievable. I looked up and saw the Eagle's Nest. A house up on a high, high mountain that was built as a birthday gift for Hitler. Had I been in charge, then I would've placed a couple of mortars in that house and make it go bye-bye. But that wasn't the case. We arrived up in the deserted town, it echoed empty.

"Wow, look at that." I said and pointed at the large Nazi flag hanging from a balcony.

"Jesus Christ." Joe mumbled.

"Fuck, that's nauseating." I mumbled. But honestly, I did feel a little nauseous. My stomach was turning a little bit. The trucks stopped and we hopped down. That sense of nausea wasn't letting go as we walked through the streets. The officers went into the Nazi flag building while the rest of us tried to clear out the rest of the buildings.

"Look at this." Luz said and I walked over to see a picture of a Nazi commandant standing next to Hitler. I couldn't say anything, I was still fighting the nausea. I felt the vomit burn in my throat.

"You okay?" Luz asked and I put my hand on the table and one over my mouth feeling myself becoming pale.

"B?" He asked and I rushed over to a trash can and emptied my stomach, twice.

"Jesus Christ." He mumbled as he went over and placed his hand on my back as I threw up again.

"What have you eaten?" He asked and I stood up straight, grabbing my canteen and took a sip.